This degree combines the equal study of two related disciplines, Law and Business, making it particularly attractive for those considering a career in the commercial world. It combines the best elements of the Universitys degrees in Business and Management and in Law to ensure students graduate with the maximum range of career options, both in Law and in Business and Management.
The defining feature of this degree is the skill-set which it provides students; you will enhance your employability by developing your faculties for argument and reasoning, for clear thinking, for the analysis of complicated ideas and for understanding the commercial context in which the law operates.
Why choose this degree?
- This law degree is accredited by the Honorable Society of Kings Inns.
- Law and Business students at Maynooth are offered unparalleled flexibility and choice. Students have (subject to availability) the option of taking a four year degree with a work placement or study year abroad (subject to availability), thus combining what you learn in university with insights into industry (legal or commercial) or another culture. Students who successfully complete 1st year also have the option of transferring into the 2nd year of the LLB degree (MH501).
- The BCL is a three-year degree in law combined with one other subject, in this case Business. While the BCL covers all the core modules of law, you cover less law than on the LLB (MH501), giving you more time to develop expertise in business. The main advantage is that it allows you to combine the study of law with learning in business. This combination is ideal for those who may wish to run their own practice, to work in a setting where law is applied, to work in a business itself, or to practice commercial law.
- Business and Management are the practical art, science, and craft of achieving change and getting things done through and with people. This degree provides you with insights into the core functions of Business and Management and how they interact to create value for and capture value from clients and customers.
Duration: 3 years (4 years with optional placement or Erasmus/Study Abroad)
- Business is taken jointly with Law for the three years of the programme, with a wide range of business and legal subjects being studied
- Some students may choose to complete a work placement or study abroad year between 2nd and 3rd year and graduate after the 4th year (subject to availability - the University will support you in the search for a placement job; however, the process is competitive)
- Students who successfully complete the 1st year of the programme have the option of transferring into the 2nd year of the LLB degree MH501 or 2nd year of the BBS Business and Management degree. An introductory accounting module must be taken in semester 1 of 2nd year (in the case of the latter degree)
Department of Law
Department of Jean Monnet Chair in EU Law and Fundamental Rights
Department of Centre for European and Eurasian Studies
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature applicants are assessed separately to school-leavers. Mature applicants are 23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University. For part-time/flexible degrees the mature age is 21.
Mature applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any written tests that may be required, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2024 to the Access Office.
Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
01 February 2024
Leaving Certificate Applicants
Required to present (as a minimum): 2H5 & 4O6/H7, O6/H7 in Irish, English & O4/H7 Mathematics. MH502 Round 1 Points 2023: 432
HEAR and DARE
DARE: The Disability Access Route to Education is a third level alternative admissions scheme for school-leavers whose disabilities have had a negative impact on their second level education.
HEAR: The Higher Education Access Route is a third level admissions scheme for school leavers from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds.
The Maynooth Education
Click here for details about optional Critical Skills courses, Electives and degree pathways.
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students