If you are fascinated by business in the complex and diverse world around us, then this is the degree for you!
An essential challenge for businesses in Ireland is how they can connect the capabilities of our workforce to contribute to solutions for people who are largely in markets outside Ireland, across the EU and the wider global community. Business needs graduates who can both understand the fundamentals of how to create value for customers (which our business subjects provide) and how to translate them into solutions and services that fit the needs of diverse cultures.
- Students on this degree can choose from one of three Business subjects (Management, Marketing or International Business) which they can combine with an array of Global Cultures modules, covering topics such as exploring cultures in global contexts, urbanisation, science and technology in society, security, crime and policing, and user experience and service innovation.
- There is a possible transfer option to this degree in second year for students who have completed the first year of the Bachelor of Arts degree (MH101) taking Business and Anthropology.
Why choose this degree?
- Unique degree in Ireland enabling you to combine three business subjects with insights into how culture impacts on the choices people make and how they live.
- Combine insights from Irelands youngest and most dynamic School of Business and the Maynooth University Department of Anthropology - the only anthropology department in the Republic of Ireland.
- Optional work placement/study abroad enable you to apply theory in practice, significantly improving employability upon graduation.
- Our faculty are a blend of international and local industry experts and academics, who bring profound insights into the practicality and complexity of both Business and Global Cultures.
- Highly employable skill set: recent employer surveys (AHECS 2020) found that business skills are the second highest in demand by employers, from the private and public sectors.
Duration: 3 years (4 years with optional placement or Erasmus/Study Abroad)
You will take 30 credits of the business subject of your choice. This will provide you with a foundational knowledge of your business subject. You will also take 30 Global Cultures credits to develop inter-cultural skills through an understanding of human diversity and difference.
Second year is about learning the functional capabilities of your business subject, including some optional choices. You will also learn how to systematically observe, interpret and describe the world around you.
Optional additional year
Work placement or study abroad in a European or international university (subject to availability).
In your business subject this is the year in which you will develop your understanding of the strategic aspects of running a business or service, as well as advanced skills in your chosen subject. This will be complemented by studying the transnational flows and mobilities of culture, ideas, media, technology, and finance, which impact on peoples lives.
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature applicants are assessed separately to school-leavers. Mature applicants are 23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University. For part-time/flexible degrees the mature age is 21.
Mature applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any written tests that may be required, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2024 to the Access Office.
Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
01 February 2024
Leaving Certificate Applicants
Required to present (as a minimum): 2H5 & 4O6/H7, O6/H7 in Irish, English & O4/H7 Mathematics. MH404 Round 1 Points 2023: 401
HEAR and DARE
DARE: The Disability Access Route to Education is a third level alternative admissions scheme for school-leavers whose disabilities have had a negative impact on their second level education.
HEAR: The Higher Education Access Route is a third level admissions scheme for school leavers from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds.
The Maynooth Education
Click here for details about optional Critical Skills courses, Electives and degree pathways.
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students