Embark on the route to become a professional accountant, which offers a rewarding career with international mobility and high earning potential
Become a highly sought-after graduate possessing the technical accounting, finance and transferable skills required of future business leaders
Engage with expert faculty, who foster an engaging, friendly, supportive and dynamic learning environment
Why choose this degree?
- To become a professional accountant, you need to successfully complete three levels of professional exams as well as on-the-job training. If you successfully complete the BA Accounting and Finance, you will be exempt from the first level of these professional examinations (CAP1 examinations Chartered Accountants Ireland and equivalent examinations from ACCA, CIMA and CPA professional accounting bodies).
- You will learn how to compile, analyse, interpret and communicate essential information about the operations of a business – whether that business be a small firm, a publicly traded corporation or an NGO (non-governmental organisation).
- You will have the opportunity to pursue a four-year degree with a work placement in a leading accounting firm or study year abroad, thus combining what you learn in Maynooth University with insights into industry or another culture.
Accounting is the major element of your degree, studied with Finance and Economics.
- Students are introduced to the fundamentals of accounting and finance in year 1 with no prior knowledge required, as we teach accounting from first principles. Students develop key analytical, technical and numeracy skills which create a solid foundation to build upon in subsequent years.
Second and Final year
- In second and final year you will expand and deepen your knowledge of all areas of accounting and finance as well as gain an understanding of the financial environment in which businesses operate.
- Optional work placement - subject to availability*.
(*You will have the option to add a year-long accredited placement in Ireland or abroad to your degree. The University’s Placement Office will support you in the search for a placement job; however, the process is competitive).
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature student applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any required written tests, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2023 to the Access Office. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
01 February 2023
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students