NEW DEGREE IN 2023
This programme is for students who have a desire to work in the growing and diverse range of businesses in the area of sports, exercise and well-being.
- The sports, exercise and well-being sector is one of the largest service industries in Ireland and globally. Ranging from small to large enterprises, many are run by sports-professionals. These businesses need graduates who can both understand the science and practicalities of the sports and exercise sector, and the fundamentals of how to create value and make a profit - via services and solutions that meet a variety of customers.
- MH412 provides students with the unique option of combining business (a combination of business modules including Accounting, Business Management), with sports-related content - from practical exercise skills to the science behind human performance and wellbeing.
- In your third year, you will have an opportunity to undertake a work placement (subject to availability) which will allow you to apply what you have learned. Given the diversity of businesses in this sector, many run by those without formal business training, people with both business and sports-science knowledge is highly attractive with many opportunities.
Why choose this degree?
- Unique offering: Maynooth University offers the only programme that allows you to combine a full business degree with sports-science.
- Accredited work placement: The opportunity to undertake a full- year work placement (subject to availability), in Ireland or abroad, as an integral part of your degree which gives you a chance to put your learning into practice and significantly improves your employability upon graduation.
- This is a rapidly growing sector, with a deep demand for graduates that bridge the fields of business and sports
- Employees that have both a deep insight into how to create value for businesses (through Accounting, Marketing, Management or International Business skills) and the science of sports exercise.
- Follow your passion: Many enjoy sporting activities but sports and exercise are well known to have mental and physiological benefits. In combination with the business modules, this programme will allow you to understand how sports and exercise can impact on your health, allowing you to explore how this can be translated to new services and solutions.
You will take 30 credits of business. This will provide you with a foundational knowledge of business.
You will also take 15 credits of the sports science programme, and 15 credits of another first year subject (Groups 1, 3 or 4)
For business, second year is about learning the functional capabilities of your subject, including some optional choices. In additional you will take 20 credits of sports science modules.
Optional additional year
Paid work placement or study abroad in a European or international university (subject to availability).
*(The University’s Placement Office will support you in the search for a placement job; however, the process is competitive).
In your business subject this is the year in which you will develop your understanding of the strategic aspects of running a business or service, as well as advanced skills in your chosen subject. This will be complemented by 20 credits of content from sports-science
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature student applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any required written tests, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2023 to the Access Office. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
01 February 2023
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students