The Bachelor of Education (primary teaching) and the postgraduate course in primary teaching (called the Professional Master of Education) are both designed to prepare students to become primary school teachers within the Republic of Ireland (both qualifications may offer the opportunity to work in many countries internationally). A varied and diverse experience, the Bachelor of Education – a four-year degree prepares students to teach within primary schools where children are exposed to a broad and varied curriculum.
Choose this degree if you are interested in
- Studying the range of knowledge and skills related to the profession of primary school teaching and its curriculum;
- Qualifying as a primary school teaching professional;
- The methodologies of primary school teaching;
- Taking an exciting range of modules.
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Minimum Academic Requirements 2015 – Leaving Certificate Examination
Leaving Certificate Examination 1992 or later
· Grade C3 on a Higher Level paper in not less than three subjects
· Grade D3 in three other subjects in accordance with the Rules and Programme for Secondary Schools.
· Irish: Grade C3 Higher Level
· English: Grade C3 Ordinary Level or D3 Higher Level
· Mathematics: Grade D3, either Ordinary or Higher Level
Leaving Certificate Examination 1969 to 1991
· Grade C on a Higher Level paper in not less than three subjects.
· Grade D in three other subjects in accordance with the Rules and Programme for Secondary Schools.
· Irish: Grade C Higher Level
· English: Grade C Ordinary Level or D Higher Level
· Mathematics: Grade D, either Ordinary or Higher Level
Leaving Certificate Examination prior to 1969
To be eligible to apply for the competition, applicants who sat the Leaving Certificate Examination prior to 1969 must hold an Honours Leaving Certificate with Honours in Irish. In English one must have obtained marks equivalent to Grade C at Pass level or Grade D at Honours level. One must also have passed in Mathematics.
Combination of results in different Leaving Certificate Examinations
Applicants may combine results obtained at the Leaving Certificate Examination in different years for the purpose of meeting the academic requirements.
Acceptable alternatives for Irish, English or Mathematics
A pass in a University First Arts examination in Irish, English or Mathematics will be accepted in lieu of the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement for that particular subject.
In the case of Irish, a Grade C in the Matriculation Examination (which existed up to 1992) will also be accepted in lieu of the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement. In addition the following are accepted as satisfying the Leaving Certificate Examination/GCE/GCSE requirement.
· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Maynooth University
· Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge (TEG) at Level B2, Maynooth University
· Diploma in Arts (Applied Irish), University College Cork
· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge Fheidhmeach,UCD
· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Level C1, NUIG
· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, Level B2, NUIG
· Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge (An Ghaeilge sa Saol Comhaimseartha), University of Limerick
· Diploma in Irish at the University of Ulster
In the case of Mathematics only, a pass in that subject in the Matriculation Examination (discontinued) will also be accepted in 2016 in lieu of the Leaving Certificate Examination/GC(S)E requirement.
Mature student applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for the written tests, please submit supporting documentation by 1 March 2018 to the Access Office. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
Leaving Certificate Applicants
3H5 & 3O6/H7 grades. Required minimum grades are Irish H5, English O5/H7 and Mathematics O6/H7.
For 2019 entrants to this degree, the minimum entry requirements will change to H4 Irish, O4/H7 English and Mathematics.
Health Information Form
Prior to entry, candidates are required to complete a Health Status Information Form.
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students