The BA (Applied Social Studies) is a one-year progression programme for candidates who have already attained the requisite standard in a Level 7 professional programme (including supervised fieldwork practice) in community development, youth work, social care or a cognate professional area. Applicants should normally have achieved second class honours or a “merit” grade or equivalent in a relevant Diploma, National Diploma or Ordinary Degree award, which must have a value of at least 120 credits on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). Minor awards with insufficient ECTS credits are not eligible.
The BA (Applied Social Studies) consists of 60 ECTS credits.
The programme offers advanced study in:
- Professional Practitioner Development
- Irish and European Social Policy
- Social Inequalities and Social Change
- Environment, Sustainability and Social Justice
- Research Skills for Policy and Practice
- Interagency and Multi-Professional Collaboration and Partnership
See Course Structure for full module descriptions
Course Structure <insert link here>
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Applicants for the BA (Applied Social Studies) should normally have already achieved second class honours or a “merit” grade or equivalent in a Diploma, National Diploma or Ordinary Degree award in one of the social professions, including (but not limited to) community development, youth work and social care. Their programme of study should have:
- included substantial supervised fieldwork practice, and
- led to an award at (or equivalent to) Level 7 on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ). See http://www.nfq-qqi.com/
Prior awards must have a value of at least 120 credits on the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). See: https://ec.europa.eu/education/resources/european-credit-transfer-accumulation-system_en
Minor awards with insufficient ECTS credits are not eligible.
Application for the BA (Applied Social Studies) is made directly to the Department of Applied Social Studies.
For further information and an application form contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please insert “BA APPSS” in the subject line of correspondence