HOW TO SECURE A ROOM ON CAMPUS
- Applications for incoming new first year undergraduates (those who will receive a CAO Offer in 2024) for the academic year 24-25 will open 1st May 2024 (remaining open for approx 4 months).
- The link will be made available on the Booking Links. At this stage of the application process there is no guarantee of a room it is simply an expression of interest.
- However only those who complete this stage can be included in the random selection for a room booking event.
- There is no charge at the application stage.
- The application form will close the day after the leaving results are released at 5pm.(Date to be confirmed once the Dept Education confirm the date the leaving cert results will be released)
- We will make a Random Selection from the Applications List to select those who will be invited to book a room on campus. Only those applicants with a Round 1 CAO Offer will be eligible at this stage.
- Randomly Selected applicants will be notified by email and will be given a link and time window within which they are invited to book a room. There will be sufficient rooms for everyone who is invited.
- This Booking Event will have a strict time window and it is important that applicants watch out for the email and act within the time windown given. There will be short notice given at this stage (not more than 24hrs) so make sure that you are checking for our email (and spam/junk) at the email inbox supplied on your application form. Avoid SPAM by adding email@example.com to your contacts.
- Applicants should ensure that the student’s email address, CAO number (not your Leaving Cert Number) and PPS number are entered correctly on the application form as these will be used to confirm validity of the application before random selection and for our short notice communications.
- To book a room a €650 non refundable booking fee will apply followed quickly by the due date for the 1st installment (equivalent of 2 month's rent). Please ensure that you have a bank card that works online and that it has been supplied with sufficient funds and that the Card Holder is availabel to "authorise" any payments.
- While there will be sufficient rooms for all, those invited to book will find that the room types (Two room types available- Single room with ensuite bathroom and Single room with shared bathroom.) will be offered on a first come first served basis. There are about twice as many Single Ensuite rooms (higher price) than Single shared bathroom Rooms (lower price) available on campus. So if you have a strong preference you need to login early to have a choice of room type.
APPLICANTS NOT RANDOMLY SELECTED:
- A "holding email" will be sent to all those applicants who were not randomly selected for the booking event.
- Those not randomly selected will have the option to remain on the applications list if they so choose. Where rooms are not booked or become vacant via cancellations, further random selections will be made from the application list until all rooms are claimed.
- Those not randomly selected at this stage are advised to seek out alternative accommodation or proceed with an alternatice already indentified.
- Those applicants who have not recieved a relevant CAO offer will not be included in random selection.
Before booking a room in Student Residences please consider carefully your own needs, all your other options including commuting and private rented accommodation in the locality, your budget and how well the Student Residences will suit your needs. Please read the "Before Your Book" section to assist you with your decision.
Sharing with Friends:
Living on Campus is about meeting new friends and because the residences are all within minutes of each other in the residential quarter of the North Campus it is easy to meet up with old friends also.
Please note there is no option to book a full apartment (to share with friends for example). Booking will be done per room and each booker will choose their own room. All bookings should be made in the name of the Student who intends to occupy the room. There is no possibility of transferring a room booked in one student's name to another student. Duplicate room bookings will be cancelled withour reference to the booker and the Booking Fee paid will be discouted against rent.
To complete your booking you will need a bank card (debit or credit card which works for online payments) to make your payments. We do not offer invoices or accept cheques or other forms of payment including cash. Rent can be paid monthly or half yearly in advance. If you are booking on behalf of a student please note that the monthly instalments also need to be paid by bank charge card which must be saved to the student account when booking. If you are travelling from outside Ireland you need to ensure that you have the use of a bank card that works internationally and online. As banking rules and security requirements have changed in the last few years you may need to become familiar with some security issues that may arise when using a bank card to make payments online. We have an article about this subject HERE and we recommend that you read it in advance of the booking day and check-in.
Deferred Places - Please Note
First year students who have deferred an academic place via the University Records Office will be eligible to book as a "continuing student" in Spring and not as a CAO First Year in September.
First year students who have deferred an academic place via CAO will be eligible to book with other CAO entrants in September (date to be confirmed).
Booking a Published University Scheme Option On Campus
If you are eligible to book a room via Scéim, Access Recommendation, Sports Scholarship, Northern Ireland, or as an Academic Scholar you will be contacted by the Residence Office by email once your academic place (offered via Round 1 CAO only) has been confirmed to us. Alternatively contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to get confirmation. If in doubt book your room in the general offering for CAO students in the first instance. If you have a deferred Academic Scholarship from a previous year you need to have that confirmed again to benefit from the room allocation. Write to email@example.com with a document confirming that the AS has been renewed.
Please carefully consider these points before your book:
- Rooms in Student Residences are offered on a full 7 days per week basis for the full academic year (or the full duration of your Fixed Term Licence to Reside) as normal - this includes all holiday or "no teaching" weeks like Christmas or reading weeks for example.
- Residents will not be able to host visitors to their apartment from outside the Campus residential community - no overnight guests and no daytime casual guests.
- Consider whether a community environment where shared kitchens and (in some room types) shared bathrooms, will meet your needs
- Choose your preference of apartment type after you have carefully read the information on the different types of accommodation available and the costs associated to living on campus.
- Take into account the method of payment of rent that is required. A designated bank card from which the monthly amount will be collected directly by the university on the due dates. This service is provided monthly however responsibility for rent payment remains entirely with the resident at all times. Due Dates are the same for everyone and we cannot offer to customise Rent Due Dates based on your funding source. You are required to manage your own cash flow and it is important that this is done in advance as your funding pay out dates may differ to your rent Due Dates. Rent that is late can attract a Breach of the Licence to Reside. Consider advance payment of rent for a semester where your monthly dates do not match.
- All apartments are non-smoking. Therefore smoking is not permitted in the living areas or bedrooms of the apartments, in the hallways of the buildings or out of a window. If you smoke, you will have to do so in the open air outside the building. Smoking "out the window" is not allowed. Matches, lighters and any other naked flame makers are not allowed in the residences.
- We regret that the on-campus accommodation is not a suitable environment for families and children, and so no children can be accommodated (17yrs and younger)
- Diversity: Apartments are mixed and you can expect to live with or near students of any gender, any nationality, any age, any course and at any stage of their course. However using allocations by student category rooms (in general) are offered according to student categories and as far is possible most rooms for postgraduates are together for example as are First Years.
- Some students may wish to live on campus because of the impact of a medical, welfare or mobility issue. Further details for students is available here.
- Do your financial planning in advance, taking into account that you are charged for 7 days a week for the full academic year. Payment dates and rates Beacuse CAO offers are now being published later in the summer, there may be a very short time interval between the day you book and the day the first instalment of fees fall due. Please arrange your funding in advance so that you have time to draw down loans or make transfers from accounts to your Bank Card account, bearing in mind that all payments will be made online via Bank Card only (no ebank transfers, cash, cheques or invoices can be accepted). Check your bank card for daily, transaction or payee limits well in advance and be prepared. Be aware that if the Card Holder is not the student that you need to make sure that the Card Holder is availabel to "authorise" the payments and that the "Billing Address" details must match exactly the Card Holder details or the Bank will faile the payment.
- Refunds for periods of absence from your room will not be considered or given.
- Living in a community with other students is great and Student Residences will create opportunities for you to meet life long friends. However it can also be very challenging living with people you do not already know and who may have different customs or expectations to you. Think about how ready you are for these challenges and how well you will cope before you book a room.
- The Residence Office will require all residents to use their @mumail address for all correspondence and will not correspond or give information to third parties (even parents) as that is not permitted under our Data Protection Policy. Student Residents must be able to represent themselves in all matters including rent, behaviour issues, concerns, requests etc.
Incoming/New CAO students who catergorise themselves in the following categories should follow a separate process:
- Sports Scholars (check with the Sports co-ordinator of your sport for what is required)
- Students with Additional Requirements/Disabilities - speak with the Access Office
- Scéim Chonaithe – Irish Speaking Students - email Oifig Na Gaeilge firstname.lastname@example.org
- Those who are offered an Entrance Scholarship based on their CAO points will have a separate booking event by invitation.
Before you Fill the Booking Form it is a good idea to add email@example.com to your contacts before you commence filling the booking form so that you ensure your Booking Confirmation Email is not sent to spam.
The application form will appear on the "Booking Links" page from the 1st May 2024 until 17.00 on the day after the the leaving cert results (Date to be Confirmed).
The online form is the only one accepted. Paper, email, personal callers, telephone etc. applications will not be processed.
There is no charge to apply.
Please ensure you use a laptop or desktop only for booking on the day as the website is not compatible with a phone or tablet.
Applicants should ensure that the student’s email address (email used on CAO application), CAO number and PPS number are entered correctly on the application form as these will be used to confirm validity of the application.
Applications will close at 5pm on the day after the leaving cert results (Date to be Confirmed).
Room booking online for those with a CAO round 1 offer, selected from the application list via random selection will be held after the CAO Round 1 offers (Date TBC once CAO offer date confirmed).
Selected applicants will be notified by email and will complete their booking online the following day.
To book a room a booking fee will apply followed quickly by the due date for the 1st instalment.
Two room types available- Single room with ensuite bathroom and Single room with shared bathroom.
See Rooms and Facilities information
- While all students invited to book will be guaranteed a room - the room types are available on a first come first serve basis. If you have a preference for a particular room type please ensure that you engage with the booking process once it opens
- While on the form other bookers can pass you out as the system is based on first come first served. So a milisecond can allow another booker to move past you.
- Move promptly through the form and make sure that the bank card you are using is able to make payments online. Have the card holder "authorise" the payment on their Banking App promptly. Most failed booking attempts are due to a bank card not allowing the payment due to a delay in authorisation by the card holder or because the Billing Address was not a match to the Card Holder's personal details with their bank.
- Should any of the first group of students randomly selected from the applications list not wish to complete the booking during the prescribed time frame, a second round of bookings will be held and applicants will be selected from the appliction list via random selection and invited to a booking and so on until all the rooms are booked.
Important: To contact the Residence Office during a booking please use the ASK function to chat with us live or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have a query. Please do not call the Residence Office during booking as we will be unable to answer.
How will I know if my booking was successful?
Click on the blue coloured "finish" icon at the end of the booking form.
You will have successfully paid €650 and you will have received a Confirmation of Booking Email.
On completion of the payment, a message will appear to advise that the payment was successful. Where a successful payment is made a transaction number will appear on your screen and a confirmation email will be generated to the email address you put on the booking form. You will be asked to create a password to allow you access into your accommodation account. Please log into your self-service accommodation account as soon as you can to complete the post booking requirements.
Important - It is very important to input your email address correctly in order to receive a confirmation email. To ensure that the confirmation email does not go into spam add email@example.com to your contacts.
||Applications for incoming new first year undergraduates (those who will receive a CAO Offer in 2024) for the academic year 24-25 will open 1st May 2024 and will close the day after the leaving results are released at 5pm. (Date to be Confirmed)
||Room booking online for those with a CAO round 1 offer, selected from the application list via random selection will be held after the CAO Round 1 offers (Date TBC once CAO offer date confirmed). Booking Fee €650 is payable on the day online using a bank card.
|First Instalment of Accommodation Fees Due
||The due date for your first instalment will be advised on your room offer email which is sent automatically to you once your have booked a room on booking day, the details of which are dependent on room type booked, date of arrival and payment option chosen. Please ensure that you have taken that into account, in advance, as check-in is not offered to residents whose first instalment is outstanding. We advise that you gather your funding well in advance of booking so that you are clear on your accommodation budget.
||Will be available from 15 September 2024. You need to book your Check-in Slot online as soon as you have paid your first rent instalment. It may happen that within a few days of your booking you will need to prepare your budget carefully in advance and ensure that your bank card is able to pay both the booking fee €650 and the First Rent Instalment (€1,385/€1,035) depending of which room type you book. Check with your bank to see if your bank card has transaction, payee or daily limits.
How Your Residency Works
Your residency with the univestiy is set out in your Licence to Reside the Confirmation of Booking Email with further information available on this website and your Resident Handbook.
Once your Licence commences (start date is usually mid September) in Student Residences you will have access to that room for the full duration (7 days per week including all teaching breaks like reading week or Christmas etc.) of your Licence. Your Licence expires at the end of the Academic year (usually early June). We do not monitor or offer offer discounts or refunds for times when you do not occupy your room such as weekends (if you go home) or holidays you may take away from campus. The Licence is a fixed term rental agreement with a start and end date and will operate as such. If you do not occupy your room or you are absent from your room for a period of time there will be no reduction in the costs. To find accommodation with a pay as you go option you may wish to consider MaynoothStudentpad options firstname.lastname@example.org or Book a Room as you need it with MCCA (Maynooth Campus & Conference Accommodation) email@example.com.
From time to time we may need to ask you to change rooms. If that becomes necessary we will prepare a like for like exchange in terms of the room type. This does not happen often but it can occur occassionally and we would like you to know and understand this in advance.