How to Become a Resident on Campus
The Student Residences welcomes all eligible full-time registered students with confirmed academic places at Maynooth University and/or St Patrick's College Maynooth.
There are just under 1200 student rooms arranged into apartments and all are situated in the North Campus Residential Zone - minutes walk from lecture theatres. the library and labs. Rooms are offered on the basis of Student Category and can be booked during designated online Booking Events. The details of each Booking Event will be listed on this website in advance so that you can plan.
Students intending to book a room on campus should understand that there are just 1146 rooms available. This represents about 10% of the total population of students registered. We are working on increasing the supply but this is the number available this year. These rooms are allocated under University Policy to various student cohorts - for example new first year undergraduates are allocated 50% of these rooms. As there will not be enough rooms for everyone we advise all students, in the first place, to consider and pursue all other accommodation options. Always keep your options open.
If there is no Booking Event listed for your student cohort please understand that we have no rooms allocated for that cohort. From time to time student cohorts will be prioritised and other cohorts will have a zero allocation. Please read the Booking Event eligibility criteria in detail before making a booking.
Do not book a room in another booking event unless you are eligible for that event. Bookings made by ineligible bookers will be cancelled without reference to the booker. The booking fee will be (exceptionally) refundable in this case, however please note this may take between 6/8 weeks at peak season.
Each student books their own room online. Most residents meet for the first time when they check-in and you can find that you are living with students of any gender, age, course, orientation, ethnic orgin, nationality, graduates, undergraduates etc. The Student Residences are a Community of Students. We do however group student categories together as much as possible but there is no guarantee of this and so your decision to live on campus should acknowledge the diversity of the residential community.
There is no formal facility to allow a group of "friends" to book an apartment together. All rooms are randonly served up (by room type selected by the booker) during the booking process and we advise bookers to progess promptly through the online booking form. In an automated first come first served process other bookers have the ability to get passed you if you delay during the process. For this reason we advise bookers to make decisions in advance about the reoom type and budget. Please understand that the system of first come first served means that your room is not booked until you have paid the booking fee and you have recieved a Confirmation of Booking email. At any time during the process another booker can pass you and secure a booking in the room you have chosen until you have paid successfully the booking fee and recieved your confirmation email.
To have the best chance of securing a booking please consider the following checklist and prepare well in advance:
- Read the guidance on this website carefully and watch the videos
- Make sure you know the time of your Booking Event and check that you are eligible for that event.
- Use either a Laptop or Desktop device - do not use a phone.
- Have all your personal details ready (DOB, CAO/Student Number, PPS Number if relevant, email address)
- Know which room type you want (Single En-suite or Single Shared Bathroom) to book.
- Make sure you have a bank card that works online and that it can make a payment for the full amount of the Booking Fee. Check with your bank if you will need to "authorise" the payment and have the phone/online banking app relevant to the bank card being used.
- Make sure that the "Billing Address" used in the online booking form matches exactly the details of the Card Holder - which may not be the same person as the student for whom the room is being booked.
- Make sure that your click "Finish" at the end of the booking form, after the system tells you the payment has been successful, otherwise you will not get your confirmation email and the room may not be booked. Check the email inbox of the email address you gave as the student to see the Confirmation Email.
The Student Categories for Room Booking are below and you can click on your student category to find the most up to date information about how you can make a booking at Student Residences and when Your Next Booking Event will take place.
If your student category is not listed here there are no rooms allocated for your student group. Please note that for booking purposes the "New International Student" includes only Study Abroad Students. Students who are coming from countries other than Ireland will find their Student Category for booking purposes (only) to be based on their academic place ENTRY ROUTE. For example Postgraduate or First Year Undergraduate or Continuing Student.
Typically we will offer rooms to first years all in the same complex (Usually River and Village) to make it easier for new students to meet new friends and get to know eachother. Post Graduates usually also live together as rooms are designated in the same Complex. However that is not always the case particularly if you book a room late in the season or mid season. Each Student Cohort has their own online BOOKING EVENT (date and time) and to find out when you should book your room go to the Booking Event Schedule in the Booking Links Space for details of this year's plan.
You will be asked to pay a booking fee at a booking event (Typically €650).
For the published schemes (e.g. Scéim Chónaithe, The Quiet Zone, etc) you may be required to completed an expression of interest or an application form in advance of booking, to qualify. No fee is payble at the expression of interest stage.
- VIEW THE GENERAL LIST OF ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA: General Eligibility for Campus Rooms Booking
- BOOKING TERMS AND CONDITIONS: Booking Terms and Conditions