Maynooth University is committed to a strategy in which the primary University goals of excellent research and scholarship and outstanding education are interlinked and equally valued.
We are seeking an excellent academic to join our staff as a Lecturer in Sociology to support the delivery of the existing undergraduate and postgraduate programmes offered by the Department. We are particularly interested in candidates with exceptional research potential who can enhance the Department’s research profile and scholarly community as the University embarks on an ambitious new five-year strategic plan. Expertise in one or more research methodologies and proven ability to teach in those areas is desirable.
The person appointed will have a proven record of teaching, research and publication, appropriate to career stage. He/she will be expected to make a strong contribution to the teaching mission of the Department and undertake teaching duties on the Department’s undergraduate and postgraduate programmes as well as the supervision of Master’s and PhD students.
The appointee will be expected to build a strong research profile that supports the University’s research strategy, including affiliating to the Research Institutes, where appropriate, and working with colleagues on national and international research. The appointee will be expected to sustain and conduct research, engage in scholarship of quality and substance, and generate publications of international standard.
The ideal candidate will have:
• A PhD in Sociology;
• A broad experience of higher education;
• A strong academic record in teaching, with experience of teaching social research methods;
• A record of scholarly work and publication of international quality, demonstrating potential to become a significant contributor in the field;
• Experience of, and a demonstrated commitment to, undergraduate and postgraduate teaching, programme development, and academic innovation;
• Experience supervising graduate research students;
• Experience of, and commitment to, working in an interdisciplinary setting;
• Good administrative, organisational, teamwork and communication skills