The HR Strategy for Researchers (HRS4R) was launched by the European Commission in order to support the implementation of the principles and requirements of the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for Recruitment of Researchers. The principles of the Charter and Code specify the roles, responsibilities and entitlements of researchers as well as of employers and/or funders of researchers. The overarching aim is to develop an attractive, open and sustainable European labour market for researchers.
As part of Maynooth University’s commitment to continuously improve our research career experience, we submitted an application for the 'HR Excellence in Research Award' from the European Commission in June 2020. The application and review process implies a long-term commitment throughout many years, including joint efforts and coordination with various internal and external stakeholders. It is nevertheless a rewarding process as it ensures our transition from progress to quality, in terms of the implementation of the 40 principles of the Charter and Code.
On the 5th October 2020 Maynooth was notified that the comprehensive analysis and action met all the requirements for the use of the ‘HR Excellence in research’ award. Maynooth University will now move into the first two years of implementation of the Action Plan.
The HRS4R application process involved the following steps:
- Consultation with researchers via a survey and focus groups
- Completion of an internal Gap Analysis involving key stakeholders, which will examine current policies and practices against the Charter and Code principles
- Based on the results of the Gap Analysis, Maynooth University developed the Human Resources Strategy for Researchers Action Plan. This Action Plan was then also revised to coincide with the end of the first Implementation Phase HRS4R Revised Strategy 2023
- The Gap Analysis and action plan are reviewed by the European Commission, and if successful, Maynooth University will be awarded the right to use the 'HR Excellence in Research' logo
Maynooth University have published the
MU Researchers Career Framework
in January 2023.
Recently, Maynooth University submitted the Internal Review for the Implementation Phase to the Commission.
Below is more information on the HRS4R process:
- HR Excellence in Research EC
- The European Charter for Researchers and the Code of Conduct for Recruitment and Researcher Profiles
- Research Skills Development Programme
- Human Resources – Maynooth University