Maynooth University Taught Master’s Scholarships
Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting
The Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting at Maynooth University has introduced four scholarships for EU entrants to full-time Master’s programmes for September 2019. The four scholarships are means-tested scholarships. Applicants will be required to satisfy the eligibility requirements of the Master’s programme that they wish to undertake and to have achieved a 2.1 result in their undergraduate honours level 8 degree. In recognition of the financial challenges of undertaking Master’s studies in Ireland, eligible applicants who can demonstrate financial hardship will be awarded up to 50% in the assessment process. Evidence will be required to support the financial situation.
Section 1 - Eligibility
Applicants must intend to pursue a full-time Taught Master’s degree in the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting at Maynooth University commencing in the academic year 2019-20 and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Satisfy the entry requirements of the Taught Master’s programme they intend to study in the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting.
- All applicants must have achieved a minimum 2.1 overall result in their level eight honours undergraduate degree (or equivalent) in order to be considered for these awards. Higher results will receive higher marking in the assessment process.
- Applications will only be accepted from EU citizens and residents of the EU deemed eligible for EU fees who satisfy the eligibility requirements of the full-time Master’s programme in the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting at Maynooth University.
- All applicants must have applied for a Master’s programme in the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting via the online portal PAC: www.pac.ie.
- Applicants will be required to upload on PAC their undergraduate degree transcripts for degrees awarded by institutions other than Maynooth University and to provide 2 x academic references. Students graduating in 2019 who have not yet received their degree transcripts must upload the results of their summer examinations to www.pac.ie by the 31st July 2019.
- This Scholarship is means tested and applicants are required to provide evidence of income to verify their financial situation. Applicants who have been in receipt of an Irish government SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland) student grant for 2018/19 should submit evidence to www.pac.ie outlining details of their grant award. All applicants are required to submit evidence of income for 2018 including an awarding letter from SUSI for study in 2018/19, proof of income for 2018 being a P21 or Social Welfare statement or other relevant documents that demonstrate their financial circumstances. If the applicant has applied for SUSI in 2019/20 please include the decision letter from SUSI – a refusal from SUSI will not exclude applicants from the scholarship assessment and the full letter should be submitted. Please also supply evidence of receipt of the Back to Education Allowance for undergraduate study if applicable.
- This scholarship also takes into account the personal circumstances of the applicant to allow students facing barriers to education to participate at postgraduate level. Applicants should provide evidence if they are mature students, lone parents, a member of the Irish Traveller community, are or have been in the Care of the State or are a student with a disability. Each factor will be taken into consideration. Please see the Document Checklist for the types of evidence required.
- Both Maynooth and non-Maynooth graduates are eligible to apply.
The competition is not open to those who have already commenced a Master’s programme. Research Master’s programmes are not eligible for support under the scheme. Applicants will not be awarded more than one scholarship from Maynooth University or other funder. Applicants who are not EU citizens and residents of the EU deemed eligible for EU fees will not be considered.
Section 2 - Value of the Scholarship and number of scholarships available
The total value of this EU scholarship for each student is €6,000 paid directly into the bank account of the applicant in two instalments (one during semester 1 and the other in semester 2). There are four scholarships available.
Section 3 - Assessment
An eligibility check will be undertaken by the Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting and other relevant staff within Maynooth University to ensure that applications have met the eligibility requirements. Eligible applications will be reviewed by an academic panel consisting of the Dean of Faculty or its nominee, and the Head of Economics, Finance and Accounting at Maynooth University. The assessment team will rank the applications using the following marking scheme:
- Academic attainment – 32%
- References – 18%
- Financial Assessment – 50%
Section 4 - Application Process
All documents (Application form, academic transcripts, reference letters, SUSI statement, any financial information, etc.) should be uploaded as part of the PAC online application process for the Master’s programme by the 31st July 2019. A Document Checklist for applicants is available on PAC and at the end of this document.
Section 5 - Miscellaneous
If an awardee does not take up a place or does not accept the scholarship, the award may be made to the next ranked candidate. The scholarship may not be deferred.
The recipient may be required to undertake some light departmental duties, such as attendance at University Open Days or assisting at conferences, at the discretion of the Head of Department. They may also be asked to assist in advertising this scholarship to future applicants.
Section 6 - Closing Date
Completed applications should be submitted via PAC by the closing date of the 31st of July 2019. Applications may be submitted any time before the closing date. Late applications will not be accepted. Applicants will be advised by the 31st of August 2019 of the outcome of their application.
Section 7 – Enquiries
Enquiries regarding the application process may be submitted by email to: email@example.com with the following title: Maynooth University Taught Master’s Scholarships - 2019.
Please click here for Terms and Conditions and Scholarship Supporting Documents Checklist