European Research Council Grants
European Research Council offers attractive, long-term funding to support excellent investigators and their research teams from all disciplines to pursue ground-breaking, high-gain/ high-risk research.
Applications can be made from any field of research.
Excellence is the sole criterion on the basis of which ERC frontier research grants are awarded.
The ERC aims to:
- Support the best of the best in Europe across all fields of science, scholarship and engineering
- Promote wholly investigator-driven, or 'bottom-up' frontier research
- Encourage the work of the established and next generation of independent top research leaders in Europe
- Reward innovative proposals by placing emphasis on the quality of the idea rather than the research area
- Raise the status and visibility of European frontier research and the very best researchers of today and tomorrow
What funding is on offer?
ERC offers attractive, long-term funding to support excellent investigators and their research teams from all disciplines to pursue ground-breaking, high-gain/ high-risk research.
Particular emphasis on the frontiers of science, scholarship and engineering. In particular, it encourages proposals of an interdisciplinary nature which cross the boundaries between different fields of research, pioneering proposals addressing new and emerging fields of research or proposals introducing unconventional, innovative approaches and scientific inventions.
There are 3 schemes depending on the stage of your career.
|Scheme||Eligibility||Funding & Duration|
|Starting Grants||2 - 7 years post-PhD||€1.5M for 5 years|
|Consolidator Grants||7 - 12 years post-PhD||€2.0M for 5 years|
|Advanced Grants||Track record of significant research achievement in last 10 years||€2.5M for 5 years|