My laptop will not display an image on the screen
1. Is projector on? – Follow steps for powering up.
2. Is connection ok? – Check leads are secure.
3. Is correct source selected? – Press Laptop(VGA) or HDMI depending on which cable is connected on display control panel on desk or lectern.
4. Is the port through which the cable connected activated –
press and hold down the Function key ( Fn ) and press F8 (CRT/LCD )(Dell Laptops)once,
image should appear in a few seconds, if it does not repeat this process until it does.
If you are unsure as to which buttons or function key to press for your make of laptop
please consult the Laptop port activation chart
Laptop computer Video Port Activation Chart.pdf
Many projectors at Maynooth University are XGA,which is they will have difficulty displaying screen resolutions above 1024 x 768.
If you have problems displaying the image on your laptop on the projection screen, try adjusting your display resolution on your laptop to suit the projector.
To do this:
1. Click once on the start menu , go to control panel and click
2. Click on the display resolutions
3. Click on down tab at resolutions
5. Set it to read 1024 x 768 pixels
6. Click apply
7. Answer yes to keeping these settings
(they may be changed back after your presentation if you want)
Your desktop is now resized and should display laptop screen see points 1-4 above.
To gain access to the Maynooth University network your laptop must be configured by the IT Services for this
If you are not connecting via wireless then connect network cable to your laptop. (Cable labelled Net Work)
You must log on using your Maynooth University username and password.
You may now access the Internet and shared services etc.
Ask a question
Training programs are run at the start of each academic term and are advertised through the Audio Visual Support Services web site and departmental e-mails. During term training is also available by making arrangements directly with AV Support for small groups and one-to-one training.(Please note:during term time restrictions on training may apply due to room availability)
Training on Data projection and multimedia facilities at Maynooth University
Training for staff/technicians charged with:
Maintaining and purchasing departmental data projectors.
Training on setting up data projectors and laptops.
Configuring departmental laptops for use with data projectors on campus.
Training departmental staff in the use data of projectors.
These short video guides are designed to introduce staff and presenters to the AV Setup, Digital Annotation options, and use of Panopto in class halls and lecture theatres at Maynooth University.
Classroom AV Set Up
These video guides were created by Audio Visual Support, Centre for Teaching and Learning TEL team, and Communications Office.
Responsibilities of AV Support
1. Audio Visual Support is responsible for the fixed projection units, computers, dvd players, microphones, amplifiers and control panels in Class halls and Theatres at Maynooth University.
2. Mobile projectors, overhead projectors and portable screens are within the remit of Campus Services.
1. No AV equipment (including cables) should be removed from Class halls/Theatres or disconnected without prior arrangement with AV Support.
2. Network connection and security. (Policies)
Faults and maintenance
1. Faults should be reported to AV Support as soon as possible after the lecture in which the problem occurred has finished.
2. All class hall and theatre locations are routinely serviced by AV support - minor problems will be sign posted in individual theatres. Major problems will be notified to departmental administrators as soon as a technical fault has been reported or discovered.
3. On foot of information received of a problem/fault:
1. AV Support will endeavor to rectify problem as soon as possible.
2. Inform departments of existence of a fault in a particular Theatre/Class hall.(See 2 above)
3. Provide temporary solution until full service can be restored.
It should be noted that the above responses may from time to time be limited by:
- Resource allocation restrictions.
- Access restrictions to rooms during term times.
- Supplier delivery response times due to difficulty obtaining parts.
Campus Services have put in place an audio visual framework. For details of the framework members please contact Helpdesk on extn. 3930