Maynooth University has a proactive green campus committee Green Campus and has recently been awarded a green campus flag. Waste management is one of the work groups of the green campus. The university strives to recycle its waste at source and with the assistance of its waste contractor is currently diverting over 90% of its waste from landfill.
This plan incorporates:
- Bin-less offices with receptacles to separate waste placed strategically in each building.
- All residential apartments are fitted with brown bins in kitchen areas to promote food separation along with recycling receptacles in corridors in apartment blocks.
- Cardboard is collected separately across campus and is baled at our in-house facility on Campus North,
- All garden waste is chipped on site and reused as mulch in our grounds maintenance.
- WEEE recycling is active across campus together with deposit and collection points for glass, batteries, cds, clothes etc.
Battery Collection Details:
- Departments can contact Campus Services through the online facility to arrange for full boxes to be collected, calls should be logged as a “Transport” request using http://fasttrack.maynoothuniversity.ie/log_a_call_popup_self_service.asp
- Campus Services will collect the full battery boxes and dispose in the barrel in either Eolas (first floor) or south campus post office
- Empty battery boxes are returned to department
- Green Campus will then contact WEEE to arrange collection when barrels are full
All enquiries regarding waste management should be directed to the Campus Services General Office at Extension 6681 or 3532 in the first instance or contact Green Campus.