Requests for access to personal data under the Data Protection Acts
Data subjects for whom the University holds personal data have the following rights in relation to the processing of their personal data (subject to certain limited exceptions):
- The right to obtain access to personal data. Data subjects have the right to be provided with copies of their personal data along with certain details in relation to the processing of their personal data.
- The right to information. Data subjects have the right to be provided with certain information, generally at the time at which their personal data is obtained. Maynooth University complies with this obligation via its data protection/privacy notices.
- The right to rectification. Data subjects have the right to have inaccurate personal data that a controller holds in relation to them rectified.
- The right to object and restrict processing. Data subjects have the right to require that a controller restricts its processing of their data in some circumstances, and have the right to object to the processing of their personal data in certain circumstances.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making. Data subjects have the right not to be subjected to processing which is wholly automated and which produces legal effects or otherwise which significantly affects them, and which is intended to evaluate certain personal matters, such as creditworthiness or performance at work, unless one of a number of limited exceptions applies.
- The right to request erasure of personal data. Under certain circumstances a data subject has the right to request the erasure of their personal data.
To exercise your rights contact the Data Protection Office directly by email, in writing or by phone:
Telephone: +353 1 7086184
Data Protection Officer,
To help us answer your request please be as specific as possible about the information you wish to see, and give as much information as you can to help us find it.
Alternatively, you can fill out this form, providing as much information as possible about the records you would like to access:
You are legally entitled to a decision regarding your request within 20 days of the University receiving your request. However, every effort will be made by the Data Protection Officer to deal with your request as soon as possible. You will be asked to provide proof of your identity.
If you are unhappy with the decision of the Data Protection Officer you have the right to complain to the Data Protection Commissioner who will investigate the matter for you. The Commissioner has legal powers to ensure that your rights are upheld.
Further details on your rights under the Data Protection Acts are available at the Data Protection Commissioners website: www.dataprotection.ie
|Phone||+353 (0)761 104 800 / +353 (0)57 868 4800|
|Fax||+353 57 868 4757|
|Data Protection Commissioner
21 Fitzwilliam Square South
Updated 22nd August 2019