AONTAS as the national adult learning organisation in Ireland, with a track record of advocacy, European engagement and expertise, is striving to support the next generation of lifelong learning advocates in order to make educational equality a reality for all adults across Europe.
The 5 day residential programme, offered in partnership with Maynooth University held between the 18th – 22nd June 2018, drew on the expertise of academics, practitioners and leaders in the field of adult learning advocacy. Open to emerging advocates from across Europe, this ERASMUS+ Key Action 1 programme hosted by the highly regarded Department of Adult and Community Education in Maynooth University.
The programme has core elements of:
• Expertise: Expert inputs from AONTAS, Maynooth University and other leaders in the lifelong learning
• Participation: Interactive and innovative workshops
• Networking: With other adult learning practitioners
• To build a movement of lifelong learning advocates in Ireland and across Europe
• To learn about adult and community education in an Irish context
• To increase advocacy capacity including how to meaningfully engage with learners
• To learn about best practice examples in advocacy and promotional activities
• Expand networking opportunities for ERASMUS+ projects
The summer school attracted national media attention, with coverage in the Irish Times.