The Inter-Library Loan service is available to staff and registered students of the Maynooth University and St Patrick’s Pontifical University, Maynooth, all of whom must hold a valid ID card. External members of the Library can also use the service.
If you have searched LibrarySearch and the Electronic Resources collection and we do not have a book, journal article or other material you require for your research, we can apply to another library for the item.
Select Citation Linker / Inter-Library Loans from the Quicklinks menu on the Library website.
- Click on Sign In (top right of the screen).
- Select the appropriate staff or student login.
- Enter your login details.
- Enter the details of the item you require and click SUBMIT.
- If the item is not available in the Library collection, the Resource Sharing option will appear.
- Click on Resource Sharing to submit a Resource Sharing (ILL) request.
- The Resource Sharing Request form defauts to Article*
- *Choose the Book request form for requesting books, book chapters, and theses and the Article request form for journal articles.
- For Book Chapters: tick the box ‘I only need a specific chapter or pages’
- The Chapter and Pages fields appear in the Book request form when this box is ticked.
- Enter the details of the chapter number and chapter title in the Chapter field and enter the page numbers of the chapter into the Pages field.
- Enter the name of your department.
- Click SEND REQUEST
- Read the Copyright Declaration
- Click I AGREE WITH THE TERMS.
- Wait and your will receive the following message: Your request was successfully placed.
Please give full bibliographic details and quote your source of reference if available. Amend the pre-populated data in the Resource Sharing form if necessary. Enter your Department as this information is required for processing each inter-library loan request. Photocopies of articles etc. are supplied for research or private study and may not be reproduced in any form.
Access to your Library Account is also available from the Quicklinks menu on the Library website.
There is also a link to the Citation Linker/ILL available from the menu on the right of the screen in LibrarySearch
If necessary, please contact the Inter-Library Loans Department to ask about access to the ILL service.
The Library is currently offering this service without charge in support of staff and registered students' research activities. The Library reserves the right to cap the number of free requests allocated per person.
External members of the Library can also use the service, price available on request, contact: Inter-Library Loans for details.
Check your Library Account to view a list of your requests and check on their progress. Where possible, you will be notified by email regarding delays with requests. Queries can be directed to the Inter-Library Loan Department via the Information Desk in the Library or by T: +353 1 7083901 or E: Library.ILL@mu.ie
If you have requested a loan you will be notified by email when it arrives and advised to come to the Information Desk in the Library to collect/consult the inter-library loan item.
Photocopies or print copies
If you have requested an article or chapter of a book you will be notified by email when it arrives. Where permissible, we will email or post articles and book chapters. Occasionally, these items will be made available for collection at the Information Desk in the library during service hours.
Returning ILL items
Return ILL items to the Information Desk in the library.
- Give full bibliographic details (i.e. author, title, ISBN, etc.).
- Please cite your source of your reference.
- Readers are advised to contact Inter-Library Loans if they are unsure of the availability of requested material, so that they can be informed if any of their requests are likely to be subject to delays or difficulties in finding locations.
EThOS has been created to offer a single point of access to UK-generated post-doctoral theses. Access to the available theses is via http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do The EThOS website includes a list of participating institutions. Institutions that are not involved in EThOS have different policies regarding access to their theses so while it is possible to request these via inter-library loan; supply is not guaranteed. Please note that neither Oxford nor Cambridge universities are currently participating in the EThOS scheme, so requests for copies of their theses must be made directly to their Imaging/Reprographic departments.
Bodleian Library, Oxford
Cambridge University Library
Libraries in the USA apply differing policies individually. Many US PhD theses are available for purchase/download directly from ProQuest's Dissertation Express service, in which case the holding library is not usually willing to lend, particularly to libraries outside the United States. It is possible to apply for a US thesis via the ILL Service but supply is not guaranteed.
Libraries who would like to borrow material from us may do so by emailing their requests to: email@example.com citing their British Library account number. We accept IFLA vouchers as payment from libraries that do not have a British Library account. Please note that many of our journal holdings are online only. Our ability to provide articles by inter-library loan from these journals is dependent on the terms of our licence.
Where material is not available for loan because of restrictions applied by the lending library, readers should consider travelling to a library which holds the item. Click here for more information.