IO_Apply for Study Abroad Step 1

  • View the partner universities that you can study at on the Global Partner Listing.
  • Thoroughly research the partner universities you would like to study at paying particular attention to the courses/modules available, the language of instruction, accommodation and the cost of living. You will find partner information on the Global Partner Listing and on our partner university websites in the International or Study Abroad sections. 
  • Read the Outgoing Student Exchange Handbook for guidance on all aspects of studying abroad. 
  • Review the Erasmus Charter for important academic and administration information.
  • Read the Exams Results Policy Document to ensure you understand the implications of exams results on studying abroad.
  • Attend an Information session hosted by the International Office during October and November. 
  • Contact your Department International Coordinator for information on academic requirements and advice on which universities might be best suited to you.
  • Connect with MU students who have gone abroad in previous years or students from partner universities who have studied at MU as ERASMUS+ students. Please contact the International Office or the ESN for details.
  • Follow us on Instagram to view student stories and get important updates.
  • If you are interested in going abroad on a work placement you should contact the Placement Office or your Department International Coordinator if you are interested in the English Language Assistant (ELA) scheme.

Depending on your programme you may be able to spend a year or semester studying abroad.

Additional Year

  • Undergraduate students doing a 3-year degree can go abroad for a full year after they successfully complete their second year at Maynooth University.
  • The year abroad is an additional year, extending your degree from three to four years. After the year abroad, students return to Maynooth University to do their final year.
  • The year abroad is a pass/fail year and if passed successfully your degree becomes an International Degree.
  • Depending on your course, there may be flexibility in what subjects you can study abroad. You should discuss your options with your Department International Coordinator.

Integrated Study-Abroad Exchange

  • Undergraduate students on a BSc/BEd 4-year programme can go abroad for one semester or a full year in their third year of study.
  • Undergraduate students on a 4- year Bachelor of Law-LLB programme go abroad for a full year in their third year of study.
  • As the integrated study-abroad exchange replaces a semester or year at Maynooth University, you will have specific academic requirements to complete during your studies abroad. 
  • It is important that you discuss your academic requirements, when and where you can go with your Department International Coordinator. in advance of applying.

Postgraduate/PhD students: please contact your academic department for information on studying abroad as part of your degree.

Click here to continue to Next Steps