Our PhD students research topics in the areas of design ethnography, design thinking, design thinking as strategy and innovation systems.
The Department has PhD and Masters (M.Litt.) research degree programmes, and welcomes enquiries from all interested and relevantly qualified prospective applicants.
The areas of special interest in the department are …
- User understanding
- Socio-cultural trends and insights
- Early stage innovation research
- Design conceptualisation
- Design Ethnography
- Qualitative Research
- Strategic design
- Business Model Innovation
- Design Thinking
- Lean start-up
- Public Service Innovation
- Entrepreneurial universities
Please contact the academic staff member closest to your interest area. Alternatively, send an enquiry email, with accompanying CV and specific statement of your interest area, to the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current research projects in the department are:
- Ethnographic study of elderly peoples’ requirements for cooking and heating.
- Design Thinking in Irish SMEs – characterisation and effectiveness as strategy.
- Innovation systems & knowledge management in the Irish agri-food sector. Funded by Teagasc Walsh Fellowship.
- Use of Mathematics in Engineering Practice.