William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program
Maynooth University is approved by the US Department of Education to certify Stafford and PLUS loans under the Direct Loan Program: School Code G10797
The Loans available are
- Stafford Subsidised: Fixed max value, No interest charged while in school
- Stafford Unsubsidised: Fixed max value, Interest charged while in school
- PLUS Loan: Max value set by School (Cost of Attendance), Interest charged while in school.Undergraduates may borrow up to $12,500 in subsidised or unsubsidised loans under the Stafford Loan programme; amounts vary according to the year of study and whether a student is applying as an independent or as a dependent.
Graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 in Stafford unsubsidised loans to help fund their education at MU. Graduate students are not eligible for subsidised loans. It is possible to take out Grad PLUS loans to make up any shortfall in the student's cost of attendance.
Click here to see the maximum amounts that can be borrowed and interest rates.
It is not possible to receive US federal loans if registered as a Maynooth University student and be based in the US doing research. Federal Aid funding does not cover studies in a country outside of your institution’s location unless the funding covers undertaking eligible programs within an eligible institution. For example, students undertaking their degree programme with Maynooth University can study abroad for a semester or year long programme, but the host institution must also be certified with the US Department of Education, and the institution must be outside of the US.
Please also note that some degree programmes which include internships may not be eligible for US federal loans.
How to Apply
US Citizens/ Eligible Permanent Residents who wish to apply for US Federal Aid to study on full-time degree programmes at MU in 2022/2023:
Please refer to the
Student Application Flowchart 2022 - 2023
US financial aid applications are handled jointly between the University's International Office and the Fees Office. Disbursements are dealt with through our International Office while the transfer of funds and fee payments are carried out through our Fees Office. Generally, students borrow up to their Living Costs and Tuition Fees. The full loan fund will be split evenly and disbursed over the two semesters per year, the fee liability for that period is withheld and the remainder transferred to your Irish Bank Account. And always remember that interest rates will vary from disbursement to disbursement.
Federal regulations stipulate that Federal Loans are disbursed electronically directly to the school. The fees office will then advise students when funds are available.
Loan funds are disbursed (issued in the US) at the start of the loan period or the academic year and cannot be requested until you commence your programme. The processing time between the United States and Ireland can vary.
Please note that first instalment of federal loans cannot be disbursed until programme commencement and can take some time to arrive in MU's bank and subsequently to yours. Therefore, you must ensure that you have adequate funds for accommodation and general living for at least the first four to six weeks of your programme.
Next complete the
Cost of Attendance 2022/2023
and Checklist, and the
Student Details Form 2022/2023
and forward ALL required materials outlined in the flowchart to USFinancialAid@mu.ie in ONE email.
View our data protection policies here.
Opening a bank account.
You will need to open an Irish bank account in order to receive your loan disbursements. See more information regarding opening a bank account here. You can request a proof of residence letter using our online form. This is required to open an Irish bank account, and proves you are a registered student at MU.
IMPORTANT: Once you have opened your bank account you can then log onto the Student Web Services - enter your student number and password - choose Fees & Grants Menu - then choose Student Bank Account Details - enter your date of birth then enter your bank account details in IBAN format. If you have any queries regarding same please contact Joan.firstname.lastname@example.org OR call in person with your banking details to the Fees & Grants Office where any member of staff will gladly assist you entering same.
We are happy to help if you are having problems, but just a reminder - the quickest way to get the process done is to follow the flowchart in the right order and send us all the evidence together in one email.
Application Deadline: 30th June of the year of entry
What Happens Next?
After you submit your application, it must be processed by Maynooth University. This process can take some time as the applications are all done together, so we ask you to be patient.
The steps in processing your application are outlined below.
- Once you have emailed all the required documents, the International Office will verify all the relevant details according to US federal requirements. We will advise you as soon as we have received all your completed paperwork in full and can start working on processing your loan.
- Once the student loans have been originated in a batch via the US COD online system you will receive an Award Letter, confirming your loans amounts after origination fees (charged by the US government) and when your funds will be disbursed.
- Loans will be drawn down by the Fees and Grants Office via the US G5 online system in two disbursements, which you will receive in the fall and the spring semesters. The loans cannot be drawn down until after students are registered in person, so please be patient. Please ensure you have funds to last until the first instalment arrives.
- After you register at Maynooth University and once the loans amounts have been received by the university from the US they will be used to pay your tuition fees, and the balance will be transferred to your Irish bank account. Half of your tuition fees for that year will be paid from the first disbursement and the second half of tuition fees will be paid from the second disbursement.
Remember the Fees and Grants Office cannot transfer your loans unless you have supplied us with your Irish bank details. You will be notified by email to your Maynooth University email address by the Fees and Grants Office once this bank transfer has occurred. We cannot begin this process until all your documentation is complete, and there are many steps to the loan process many of which are outside of the university's control, that is, done by the student and done by the US government. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the university receives all the required documentation for your application on time, to ensure there is no delay in completing each step of the process.