Recognising the 12%; Migrant trajectories through the Education System
There has been a dramatic increase in the proportion of migrants in Irish society in a very short period of time. Today, 12% of students in the Irish education system come from diverse backgrounds. This year's Forum explored:
- How migrants are faring in the Irish education system
- To what extent has the education system adapted to cater for migrants? Is the curriculum adjusting to their needs?
- Is the education system culturally responsive?
- How are practioners are dealing with this live issue
- What can we learn from the experiences of other countries?
- Zelia Gregoriou - Maynooth Education Forum - June 2017
- Irena Kogan - Maynooth Education Forum - June 2017
- Fran McGinnity - Maynooth Education Forum - June 2017
- Victoria Showunmi - Maynooth Education Forum - June 2017
Maynooth Education Forum in the media
- Curriculum must not be just for 'white Irish' only, expert warns - link to Irish Independent article here
- Migrant pupils falling behind at reading, research shows - link to Irish Times article here
- Calls for more school supports as survey shows migrant children lag behind in reading - link to Irish Independent article here