Jim Slevin, Emeritus Professor, Maynoth University
FinstP, MRIA, Member Academia Europaea
Born 1940, Castlecaulfield, Co Tyrone
Secondary school, St Patrick’s College, Armagh
BSc,MSc (Queens University,Belfast), PhD (CUNY, New York)
- Physics Department, University of Stirling, Scotland (1970-85)
- Experimental Physics Department, Maynooth University (1985-2000); oversaw significant developments of the physics curriculum, including the design and construction of a new purpose-built building with a modern engineering workshop
- Research mainly in atomic physics, with particular emphasis on particle interactions with atomic hydrogen.
- Collaborated with research groups, including at the University of Aarhus, University College London (UCL) and Torun University (Poland) to carry out Hydrogen-AntiHydrogen experiments at CERN, home to the Large Hadron Collider.
- Collaborated with research group at the University of Paris at Orsay for experiments involving He+-He collisions using an ion-photon coincidence technique.
- Set up an experimental hydrogen facility at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (Pasadena) to carry out measurements of benchmark cross-sections of importance in modelling planetary atmospheres.
Publications in international peer-reviewed journals
Over a 30 year research career, author of ca. 90 publications in peer-reviewed journals, including five in the American Physical Society flagship publication, Physical Review Letters
Royal Irish Academy
Science Secretary (2000-4)
Commissioning Editor of the RIA’s
- 'Judging' book series Volume I, Judging Dev by Diarmaid Ferriter (won 3 Irish book awards and was a best seller.)
- Art and Architecture - a five volume set by Rachel Moss, Nicola Figgis, Paula Murphy, Rolf Loeber, John Montague, Livia Hurley, Ellen Rowley, Catherine Marshall, and Peter Murray.