Start by getting an overview of our research, please review the Research programmes at Maynooth University for contact details in each Department or Research Institute
Start by getting an overview of our research, please review the Research programmes at Maynooth University for contact details in each Department or Research Institute.
To undertake a PhD programme, you must have high honours standard in your primary degree (normally an overall 2.1 honours award at bachelors or master’s level), or present other evidence that satisfies the head of department and the relevant faculty of your suitability. Departments register PhD candidates on a PhD track. Progression within the PhD programme is subject to annual review.
To undertake a Research Masters programme, you must have obtained at least a 2:1 honours award at bachelor's or a master's level, or present other evidence that satisfies the relevant head of department and the relevant faculty of your suitability. However, it should be noted an individual department may require a higher entry requirement.
Fees are applicable for the duration of your studies. Indicative fees are available here.
The normal duration for a PhD is four years, it is important to consider how you will support yourself for the duration of the programme. Funding opportunities are available here.
Prior to contacting a potential supervisor, we recommend you develop your research proposal. You should have an outline of your proposed area of interest/research project before contacting a potential academic supervisor. It is important that you are able to relate your research interest to their areas of expertise:
Key areas for consideration:
- Describe the topic to be investigated
- The aims and objectives of the research
- The central research questions
- Methodology, including for example, experimental, investigate and analytical methids and theoretical frameworks
- The alignment of the proposal project with the academic departments expertise and research areas
- Ethical considerations.
When you have received confirmation that your supervisor will accept you as a new PhD (track) or new Research Masters student, you should then apply here to formalise the application and acceptance process.
In the case of Non-Maynooth University applicants: the following documentation should be uploaded to their PAC online application:
- Copy of birth certificate or valid passport
- Official University Academic Transcripts which include name, title of degree, date of conferring and the name of degree awarding body.
- Two referees reports (addressing their potential for postgraduate study)