YOUR PROGRAMME INCLUDES:
- Airport shuttle: (please note that because of check-in times the earliest coach for arrival day will most likely be at 10am)
- Transport: All transport for field trips
- Orientation: 'MU Welcome Packs' with day trip to Dublin!
- Tuition: full tuition for your academic courses and transcripts
- Housing: Single rooms in on-campus University apartments
- Field Trips: Visit stadia and sporting facilities & museums across the country
- Activities: Numerous 'evening social activities' organised per week
- Meals: cooked breakfast & hot lunch Monday-Thursday
- Staff: In order to support you through the programme our range of summer school staff provide support for you and live on campus with you so that you have someone to talk to, hang with and to lead you in your activities, field trips and weekend adventures.
WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?:
- Transport: All transport outside of what is outlined above
- Dinner: Students are responsible for arranging their own meals outside of breakfast & outside of lunch (Mon-Thurs)
- Travel and Medical Insurance
- International Flights
All participants must have valid medical/health insurance for the duration of the program. This is both a Maynooth University and an immigration requirement. It is also advised that students purchase travel insurance for their stay in Ireland.
Please note that the running of this Maynooth University International Summer School is subject to sufficient student numbers.
We look forward to seeing your application soon!
The programme fee is €3,005
Once you submit your application here, within 15 working days you will be emailed with details of how to make a secure online payment to Maynooth University.
Places on the MUISS fill up quickly and therefore we run on a ‘first come first serve’ basis, we cannot hold or guarantee your place on this programme until your deposit payment is made.
To secure your place on the programme you must complete the application form and make payment of a €200 non-refundable deposit before March 31st.
The remaining €2,805 is due by April 30th.
You may choose to pay the full programme fee in one payment at any time prior to April 30th if you wish to do so.
Applications close on March 31st; if a payment has not been received prior to this date you will be automatically withdrawn.
Please note that if you plan on using financial aid for payment and as a result believe you will find making these deadlines difficult you can contact us to discuss potential options by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
As part of our commitment to attracting a diverse student body Maynooth University is pleased to announce the opportunity to win scholarships towards the cost of our summer school. We will provide a limited number of scholarships worth up to €500 against the cost of tuition for our international summer school.
How does it work?
When you submit your application form you will be asked to indicate whether or not you intend to apply for this scholarship.
How to apply?
Once you have paid your €200 deposit and have received your MU student ID you can apply by clicking here. You will then need to upload a statement (of no more than 500 words) explaining how you represent an under-represented student body and why you are applying to come to our summer school! Best of luck!
When to apply by?
Scholarships are only available to those who complete registration by our early-bird deadline February 15th.
When will you hear?
We will contact successful recipients within a few weeks after our final application deadline of March 30th.
*Only students who have paid their €200 non-refundable deposit will be eligible for the scholarship.
Maynooth University advises all students contemplating applying for the scholarship to ensure that they have the means to pay the full amount of the programme fee as the scholarship decision will not be made until after the final deadline for applications has passed.
As only a small number of €500 scholarships are available we advise students not to commit to coming to Maynooth for this summer school unless they are confident that they can complete full payment with or without the €500 scholarship.
It is also important to note that the scholarship is discounted off your programme fee and is not a cash scholarship.
Successful applicants who have paid the €200 deposit will be informed in early April before the remaining programme payment is due.
APPLY FOR THE SCHOLARSHIP HERE
Students can only apply once they have submitted their main summer school application and have paid their €200 deposit.
Sport in Ireland – The History of GAA & Cultural Leadership
5 ECTS Credits
(Subject to change prior to September 15th 2022)
In this class, students will explore the history of the GAA and the significance the sport has played in the creation of Irish identity and culture. The module will also explore style and quality of leadership showcased by various figures in the sport since its foundation in 1884. The class will involve many field trips, guest speakers and workshops to assist students in developing their cultural awareness and leadership skills in a sporting setting.
We teach all courses with 40+ contact hours and you will have classes during the week which will include lots of field trips where you can explore sites relevant to your course material.
Eligibility: Students must be over the age of 18 when participating in the summer school, have completed one year of university with a minimum GPA of 2.5 and IELTS 6.0, TOEFL 545 (paper based) or equivalent is required if English is not your first language.
Please note that the running of all classes are subject to sufficient student numbers.
Irish Sports & Leadership Summer School Syllabus
**Please note that all syllabi are subject to slight change or modification.
CREDIT TRANSCRIPTS AND CERTIFICATES
Transcripts are issued in mid-September once assessments have been corrected and the external examination board has met.
Attendance is obligatory. Credits will only be awarded to students with full attendance at the end of the program.
- Stay in our on-campus apartment–style Village residence: you will have your private room within a 4- or 5-bedroom apartment and share 2 washrooms with your flatmates.
- Each apartment has a furnished kitchen and a living room/dining room area.
- Kitchens come stocked with some key cooking equipment and utensils.
- Housekeeping is on a regular basis with linen and towels included and changed weekly.
- Wifi is freely available throughout campus.
- Laundry can be accessed using our laundry room - tokens as of now are €4.50 per load.
- Breakfast is provided in our on-campus Student Union restaurant from Monday to Thursday.
- Lunch is provided in our on-campus Student Union restaurant from Monday to Thursday.
- Most special dietary requirements can be catered for with sufficient advanced notice.
- There are various supermarkets within easy walking distance of the campus.
- There is less than a 10 minute walk between all classrooms, libraries, shops and public transport links.
- Frequent commuter trains to Dublin city take less than 40 minutes and cost about €8 round trip.
- There are also various busses available to you with late night options at weekends.
- We'll talk you through your transport options at orientation.
COMPUTER ACCESS AND WIFI
- Computer facilities are widely available throughout campus.
- If you have your own internet enabled devices will find free, open-access wifi throughout most of the campus.
- You will receive their login codes for online learning platforms prior to arrival.
- Contains over 450,000 books and eBooks as well as 42,000 ejournals - plenty to keep you busy!
- There are many computers for you to use, self service photocopying and a coffee shop!
- The staff are extremely helpful and will deal with all your queries promptly.
- Take up the option of training with Irish athletes if you wish!
- On-campus sports facilities include a fully equipped gymnasium and an indoor sports hall and a fully equiped gym.
- We'll also enjoy a few sporting events on campus - last year these included Gaelic Football, Ultimate Frisbee, Trampolining and Archery!
- There are numerous outdoor pitches for you to book out and enjoy.
This Program Is So Much More Than A Classroom Experience!
We host lots of activities on campus and are always around for a chat, catch up or a sing song! In addition we offer the following:
The field trips will allow you to experience first-hand what has been taught in the classroom. Visits to museums, stadia, businesses and voluntary organizations all offer an unparalleled insight into the Irish landscape, society and culture!
Orientation Trip to Dublin as where better to start our adventures than with Ireland's global and dynamic capital. Your day includes a visit to the famous Croke Park Stadium and Museum as well as having the opportunity to do a skyline walk on the roof of the stadium witnessing a spectacular view of Dublin City and a chance to explore Dublin's past.
DAY TRIPS & ACTIVITIES
- Visit Dublin and The Historic Croke Park Stadium
- Learn How to Play Irish Gaelic Football
- Social Evening Events
- Trips to Local Sporting Clubs
- Option to Participate in Scrimmage Games
- Local Hikes with Irish athletes
- Plus Much, Much More!
Every weekend we will go to different games and stadiums across the country sampling the very best of what GAA has to offer!
PRACTICE & EXERCISE
Train with our local athletes or clubs and learn new skills in GAA that you can take back to your home sport!
Contact our team at email@example.com with any questions that you have or to discuss the programme.
How do I get to Maynooth?
The town of Maynooth is located just 28 minutes from Dublin International Airport. We advise students to fly to Dublin Airport from their home country.
For students arriving to Ireland on the official start date we will have Dublin Airport transfers arranged at certain times throughout the day to pick you up and bring you straight to Maynooth University. If you are arriving earlier or later than our scheduled pick-up times you can get a taxi from the airport to Maynooth University Campus Accommodation, North Campus.
When should I arrive/depart?
Your programme fee covers accommodation from the start date to the end date of the Summer School. So you should aim to arrive and depart on those dates.
What is the cost of living?
Allow between €600 and €800 for cost of living expenses (excluding accommodation and breakfast & lunch Mon-Fri). This is an estimate only and will depend on each student’s individual needs.
Where will I live?
You will be living in an apartment with 4 others in the Village block of our on-campus accommodation. You will have your own room and shared bathrooms, living area and kitchen per apartment.
Can I choose who I live with?
If you have a special request of who you want to live with you must email firstname.lastname@example.org at least 4 weeks before the programme start date. While it is not guaranteed, we will do our best to accommodate all student requests.
What are the check-in/out times of the accommodation?
Check-in starts from 2.00pm and check-out is by 10am.
What if I want to arrive early or stay later?
This can be arranged but please note there is additional costs involved. If you wish to avail of this service you can email email@example.com directly with your request. Please ensure to inform them that you are staying with MUISS. Please also ensure to notify the MUISS team that you are arriving early or departing later by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do I need to bring towels/bed linen/pots & pans?
Bed linens and towels are provided and are changed weekly and the apartments are serviced regularly by housekeeping, but it is your responsibility to keep your living quarters in good condition.
The apartments also come partly stocked with crockery and cutlery.
What laundry facilities are available?
There is a laundry machine in each residence and a main laundry room just a few minutes’ walk away. You can ‘top-up’ a laundry card from the accommodation office located next to your building. Laundry is approx. €4.50 per token.
Do I need a visa?
If you are a citizen of the EU, U.S. or Canada you do not require a visa as the summer school is less than 90 days in duration. When you complete your payment of the programme fee you will be issued with an acceptance letter which we recommend you to bring to the airport with you on arrival into the country.
Non-EU, Non-USA/Canada Students
The Irish government requires nationals of some countries to hold a visa in order to visit Ireland. To see if your country requires a visa please check the Immigration website. As you are studying in Ireland for only a short period of time you will need to apply for a tourist visa. You can find all the information about the documents you need here.
Please note – if your country is not on this list you do not need a visa.
Do I need to bring/buy books?
No, you will have access to the Maynooth University Library throughout your stay. Faculty will not require you to purchase any books for the classes.
Will I have access to computer suites?
Yes, you will have access to computers across the campus. Printing facilities are available in the Library.
What if I have a disability or additional support needs?
Students are encouraged to disclose their condition and/or disability at the point of the online application. The Maynooth University International Summer School team will endeavour to make all reasonable adjustments to enable students to undertake the programme.
Applicants can also contact email@example.com to discuss their needs prior to submitting their application.
Do I need medical insurance?
Yes. All participants must have valid medical/health insurance for the duration of the program. This is both a Maynooth University and an immigration requirement.
How do I request a transcript?
Upon completion of the Summer School your classwork and exams will be assessed and graded by our faculty. The results will then be processed through the University’s exams board and copies of the transcripts & results will be sent to your home university.
If your home university is not an official partner of Maynooth University your transcript will be sent to the home address used when submitting your application, if this is an issue please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Transcripts will be issued in mid September.
Students who wish to receive an additional copy of their transcript can also do so by following the instructions here.
When will I find out about my scholarship application?
We will contact successful recipients within a few weeks after our final application deadline of March 31st. Only students who have paid their €200 non-refundable deposit will be eligible for the scholarship.
Is the €200 deposit refundable?
No, the €200 deposit is non-refundable.
My question isn't here, so what do I do now?
Look back throughout the webpage and if you still can't find the answer to your question you can email email@example.com and our team will be more than happy to help you as best we can!
FEEDBACK FROM PAST INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS OF MUISS
ENJOYED YOUR TIME AT MAYNOOTH ON OUR SUMMER SCHOOL?
Here at Maynooth University we love nothing more than to welcome students back to campus. If you studied here as part of one of our summer schools and would like to return for a semester study abroad expereince we are offering you the opportunity to do so and to also avail of a special 10% discount!!
For more information please clikc on the link below:
Continue to be a part of the Maynooth Community!
We’ll miss you when you’re gone so why not join the 80,000+ Maynooth alumni globally and become a member of the Maynooth alumni network?
We’d love to keep in touch with you and share MU news, including news about further study opportunities or events that might be taking place in your part of the world. We’d also love to know your career story after Maynooth.
To keep connected with you, it’s important that we have your current contact information. So register with us here and while you’re at it, check https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/daro/join-your-community for all the other ways you can continue to be a part of the Maynooth conversation.