An Occasional Student studies specific modules for a semester or one academic year at the University
Occasional students do not receive a National University of Ireland qualification. Instead they receive a transcript of results, issued by the Student Records Office. Examples of reasons for choosing to study as an Occasional Student include:
- Meeting Teaching Council of Ireland requirements
- Personal interest
If you are interested in studying as an occasional student:
- Pay the application fee of €25 (click here to go to fee payment page);
- We are currently accepting applications for Semester 2 of the 2020/2021 academic year. Please complete our online application form for Semester 2 (click here for application form);
- Please ensure that transcripts of all relevant studies are submitted to the following email address email@example.com
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you wish to discuss your application (the Admissions Office acts as a liaison between you and the Department once the application has been submitted).
- Please note there is a closing date for making applications. Applications cannot be made after the first week of the semester being applied for. Semester 2 commences on the 1st of February 2021, applications will be accepted up to Friday 5th February 2021.
- We will open for applications for the 2021/2022 academic year from the end of February 2021.
Applicants for admission as an occasional student are required to have at least attained a Level 5 qualification or equivalent (e.g. school Leaving Certificate). The relevant academic department(s) assesses your application. This may take a few weeks. Applicants may contact the Admissions Office for a provisional indication as to the progress of their application.
Assessment, whether examination or continuous assessment, is the same as per all other Maynooth University students. No special examination arrangements are made for occasional students. Semester 1 examinations take place in January; Semester 2 examinations take place in May. All results are issued in July. In exceptional circumstances, where a student is required to return to their “home” university to recommence studies in January, there may be the possibility of an assessment in December, subject to approval by both the academic department(s) and the Examinations Office.
Please note that if you wish to add on further modules to your application, following approval, your application will be treated as a new application and you will be liable for the €25.00 application fee again.
Once you have been approved for the modules you applied for, please be aware that this approval is subject to timetabling availability. Please contact your departmental administrator for module timetable closer to the start of the semester or email email@example.com
Academic Fees are to be paid to the university for each module you take as an Occasional Student. Please contact the Fees Office directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to enquire as to the current fees for Occasional Students. Thank you