A year of study is 60 credits.
- 30 credits of Media Studies theory and practice modules
- Computer Science (15 credits)
- Choose 1 other subject from the range of Arts subjects available (groups 1-4) or Critical Skills. Mathematical Studies is recommended if you did not take Higher Level Mathematics at Leaving Certificate or equivalent
2nd and 3rd year - choose your pathway:
- Continue taking Media Studies and Computer Science
- Or take Media Studies with the other subject taken in 1st year
- Optional 10 credit Electives in 2nd year
Students may apply to study overseas after 2nd year (on Erasmus or Study Abroad) and graduate with a BA (International) after 4 years. See the International Studies website for details.
Course Duration: 3 years (BA) or 4 years (BA International)
This table displays the requirements for Leaving Certificate applicants.
||Ordinary Level Grade
||Higher Level Grade
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature students should apply to the CAO
by February 1st 2018. Late applications from mature students may be accepted after this date - consult the Undergraduate Studies
website for updates. Application may not be made to the CAO after May 1st 2018. O3/H7 Leaving Certificate Mathematics OR EQUIVALENT required.
A mature student is 23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University. For part-time degrees the mature age is 21. Admission is based on your application. Candidates are shortlisted for interview on the basis of written assessment and also on the basis of the information provided on their CAO application form.
Mature students must complete the CAO section for mature applicants fully, indicating clearly past or current studies, and outlining educational goals and objectives. All questions should be answered in full.
Mature student applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any required written tests, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2018 to the Access Office. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
For further information on the supporting documentation required, as well as examination and other supports visit the Access Office website.
Leaving Certificate applicants are required to present as a minimum: 2H5 & 4O6/H7, Irish & 3rd language & H5 English. MH109 MTH requires O3/H7 Mathematics.
New Maynooth Education
for details about 1st year optional Critical Skills courses and 2nd year optional Electives and degree pathways.
HEAR and DARE
DARE: The Disability Access Route to Education is a third level alternative admissions scheme for school-leavers whose disabilities have had a negative impact on their second level education.
HEAR: The Higher Education Access Route is a third level admissions scheme for school leavers from socioeconomically disadvantaged backgrounds.
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students