An understanding of the Irish legal system and core legal topics within that system - such as contract law, employment law and company law - is increasingly relevant to those in non-law careers. Reflecting this, administrators, policymakers and technical personnel in a variety of industries are now expected to have a foundation of legal knowledge. Maynooth University’s Professional Certificate in the Foundations of Irish Law is, therefore, designed to be of interest to those in, or aspiring to enter, a career in fields such as government, administration, and the social sciences and humanities more generally. It will also be of interest to those considering a degree in law in the future.
The aim of this course is to provide students with an understanding of the fundamentals of law in Ireland. Students will study the foundations of the Irish legal system, a range of foundational legal topics and key legal concepts that are relevant to those topics. During this course, students will learn from subject specialists from Maynooth University’s Department of Law. Students will also have an opportunity to engage with industry speakers.
Please note that this is not a qualifying law degree
Applicants should have a minimum 2.2 honours (level 8) primary degree that is considered equivalent to Irish university primary degree level.
However, this course is also open to experienced professionals who do not hold a primary degree. See Form R8, Non-Standard Entry/Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) on registry website for further details.
We are especially keen encourage applications from:
- Returners: Homemakers or those with other caring duties or economically dependent on a partner or spouse for a minimum period of 9 of the previous 12 months.
- The unemployed or formerly self-employed (unemployed applicants will also be required to meet additional DEASP related criteria).
- People in employment, if they meet the nationality/visa requirement and residency criteria.
Note that documentation supporting applicant’s status will be required as part of the application process
Department of Law
Department of Jean Monnet Chair in EU Law and Fundamental Rights
The Professional Certificate in the Foundations of Irish Law will be delivered online. This will involve a mixture of recorded lectures, which students will work through in their own time, as well as a one and a half hour live online session each week during which students will have an opportunity to discuss topics with lecturers as well as to hear guest speakers.
By the end of this course, students should:
- understand the sources of Irish law and the structure of the Irish legal system;
- have a solid grasp of a range of foundational legal subjects and of the key legal concepts;
- be aware of current legal debates that are relevant to Irish law; and
- be able to articulate and discuss core legal concepts.
An indicative list of topics that will be covered is set out below (please note that this list is subject to change).
- Sources of Irish Law
- The Irish Legal System
- Contract Law
- Tort Law
- EU Law
- Administrative Law
- Employment Law in Ireland
- Company Law
Online application only https://v2.pac.ie/institute/19
The following documents should be forwarded to PAC, 1 Courthouse Square, Galway or uploaded to your online application form:
Certified copies of all official transcripts of results for all non-Maynooth University qualifications listed must accompany the application. Applicants must also upload a copy of their valid passport.