The Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment offers a flexible way for those who teach in Maynooth University to obtain a qualification in higher education teaching. The programme flexibility allows participants to complete the Diploma in 2, 3 or 4 years, depending on when they decide to take modules. There is also an option to exit with a Certificate on successful completion of 30 ECTS within 1 or 2 years.
This flexibility allows participants to take modules and complete the programme within timeframes that best suit them and their workload. Some modules will be delivered with a blended learning approach where participants will be able to engage with some of the learning in their own time through asynchronous learning options as well as attending face-to-face and online classes and tutorials at flexible times.
- To provide flexible opportunities for those who teach in Higher Education to explore the theory, concepts and contemporary discourse of learning, teaching and assessment in higher education and to consider how they impact and influence practice;
- To assist participants to enhance the quality of the student learning experience by supporting them to: develop their professional values and identities; embed critical reflection into their professional practice; enhance their digital capacities in relation to teaching and learning; and identify opportunities to engage in continuous professional development as part of their role within Higher Education and
- To support and encourage participants to engage in evidence-based approaches to their practice and to contribute to their discipline and their professional development through the scholarship of teaching and learning.
The programme is open for Maynooth University staff currently teaching in a higher education context and who meet the application and selection criteria. The reflective and practical nature of the teaching, learning and assessment approaches of the programme requires a teaching context for participants to learn and apply learning and to meet module and programme outcomes. It is therefore essential that those applying for the programme are teaching and assessing in a higher education context while participating on the programme. There are 20 places available.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education Teaching, Learning and Assessment is a flexible programme equating to 60 ECTS that can be completed in 2, 3 or 4 years. There is also an option to exit with a Postgraduate Certificate on successful completion of 30 ECTS within 1 or 2 years.
This flexibility allows participants to take modules of different credit loads at times that best suit them. See the PDHETL Module Options document for module options and semesters:
- TL514 Introduction to Teaching, Learning and Assessment, is a 15 ECTS mandatory first module of the programme and must be taken in the first semester of the first year on the programme.
- TL520 is a 5 ECTS capstone module that can only be taken on successful completion of all other modules on the Diploma programme.
- All other core modules can be taken in any semester they are available in order to complete the Diploma within a 4-year time frame (or exit with a Certificate within 1-2 years).
- There will also be opportunities for some modules to be taken as stand-alone accredited modules without registering for the programme. Exemptions for such modules will apply for those who register for the programme at a later date (subject to relevant time frames). CTL will advertise these modules to all staff when available.
Application for this programme is via a CTL application Form initially and formally via the PAC system. For full information and updates on the application process for this programme, please go to www.maynoothuniversity.ie/centre-teaching-and-learning/accredited-programmes/postgraduate-diploma-higher-education