Please note: This HEA Covid support programme deadline for the 4th and final round has passed and is therefore closed - no new applications can be accepted.
HEA Cost Extensions for Research Disrupted by COVID-19
The Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, through the Higher Education Authority, has provided funding to higher education institutions to cover costed extensions for certain research activities that are at risk because of interruptions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The HEA cost extension budget provides funding for additional payments (salary / stipend) to be made in exceptional cases to research projects that were active on 6th January 2021, and where activity was interrupted due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Research students and contract research staff whose research has been interrupted by the pandemic may apply for an extension of their contract/stipend period of up to a maximum of 4 months under this programme. Research students who are not in receipt of a stipend and whose work has been disrupted may also apply for a once-off exceptional stipend support.
Researchers already awarded or applying for four months funding under the programme may request a further costed extension of up to a maximum of 2 months in very exceptional circumstances and subject to the appropriate justification.
Applicants must make a clear, documented case of further disruption due to the COVID 19 pandemic.
Examples of the types of exceptional circumstances are:
- Where an awardee or an immediate family (e.g., living with the awardee) contracted COVID 19 that resulted in hospitalisation.
- Where an awardee had an increase in caring responsibilities during the HEA COVID 19 extension period and/or due to the current ongoing restrictions.
Any awards made under this scheme will be additional to the Covid-19 fees waiver already committed by the University.
Call for applications for the fourth and FINAL round is now closed.
FINAL round: The call for applications for the HEA COVID 19 Costed Extensions Programme is now closed for applicants whose individual award, research project or period of study was ongoing on the 6th January 2021.
Q&A Session MU Q&A Session
Please consult the FAQs or queries may be submitted to MUheacovidfund@mu.ie
Applications will be accepted from
- Holders of Individual PhD/postdoctoral or research fellowships or self-funded PhD students
- The application form is to be completed by the research student / member of contract research staff, in consultation with their supervisor.
- Please use the HEA COVID 19 Costed extension fund individual application form.
- Please also note you must upload a declaration from your supervisor/mentor for individual applications using the Template declaration form for supervisors/mentors.
- Principal Investigators of research projects
- If you are a PI of a research grant you may seek an extension for PhD students/ research staff currently funded by your award.
- Where a researcher has left a research project due to COVID related circumstances a PI may now also apply for funding to recruit a new researcher if there is not sufficient funding to do so from within the award.
- Please use the HEA COVID 19 costed extension fund research project application form.
- PIs must also include a declaration from the PhD students/ research staff for whom they are seeking funding using the
for applications for research projects
Application forms for review only
- HEA COVID 19 CE fund Round 4 Individual Application form
- HEA COVID 19 CE fund Round 4 Project Application form