HEA Cost Extensions for Research Disrupted by COVID-19
The Department of Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science, through the Higher Education Authority, has provided funding to higher education institutions to cover costed extensions for certain research activities that are at risk because of interruptions caused by the Covid-19 pandemic.
The HEA cost extension budget provides funding for additional payments (salary / stipend) to be made in exceptional cases to research projects that were active on 12th March 2020, and where activity was interrupted due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Research students and contract research staff whose research has been interrupted by the pandemic may apply for an extension of their contract/stipend period of up to a maximum of 4 months under this programme. Research students who are not in receipt of a stipend and whose work has been disrupted may also apply for a once-off exceptional stipend support.
Any awards made under this scheme will be additional to the Covid-19 fees waiver already committed by the University.
Call for applications now open – Second Round
Second round: The call for applications for the HEA COVID 19 Costed Extensions Programme is now open for applicants whose individual award, research project or period of study is due to end between 1st March and 31st October 2021.
The deadline for submission of applications to the second round is 5.00pm Thursday 14th January 2021 and we expect awards will be announced the end of January 2021.
Q & A sessions for the second round will be announced in December 2020.
MU Q&A Session Presentation
Applications will be accepted from:
- Holders of Individual PhD/postdoctoral or research fellowships or self-funded PhD students
- The application form is to be completed by the research student / member of contract research staff, in consultation with their supervisor.
- Please use the HEA COVID 19 Costed extension fund individual application form
- Please also note you must upload a declaration from your supervisor/mentor for individual applications using the Template declaration form for supervisors/mentors
- Principal Investigators of research projects
- If you are a PI of a research grant that is due to complete before 31st October 2021 you may seek an extension for PhD students/ research staff currently funded by your award
- Please use the HEA COVID 19 costed extension fund research project application form
- PIs must also include a declaration from the PhD students/ research staff for whom they are seeking funding using the PhD Student or Research staff project declaration
- Budget Template for applications for research projects
A third round will run later in 2021 for applicants whose individual award, research project or period of study is due to end after the 1st November 2021.
Please note, the content of the MS Forms are viewable access and for reference only.