Dr Kathleen McLoughlin is the Principal Investigator for the INSPIRE study, a two year research study funded by The All Ireland Institute of Hospice and Palliative Care and The Irish Cancer Society under their 2014 Research Fellowship Scheme. INSPIRE seeks to Investigate Social and Practical supports at the End of life for people and their family caregivers, who are living at home with advanced life-limiting illness. The study includes an RCT to examine the impact and effectiveness of Milford Care Centre’s Good Neighbour Partnership. More information on this study is available here: (web link to www.inspirestudy.ie)
Kathleen graduated with a First Class BA (Hons) in Psychology from the University of Bedfordshire, UK in 1998. On moving to Ireland she was employed by the former Midland Health Board and subsequently the HSE. During her six years in the public service, she held senior posts in health promotion and quality and risk in the Office of the CEO. The projects she was engaged in during that time led to the development of her interest in the areas of education, public health and hospice and palliative care.
In 2005, she was awarded the Irish Hospice Foundation / Health Research Board Building Partnerships for a Healthier Society Research Award to examine attitudes toward palliative care. This study formed the basis of a part-time PhD, completed under the supervision of Dr Sinead McGillloway and she successfully graduated from the Department of Psychology at Maynooth University in 2012.
During her studies, she was appointed Head of Education, Research and Professional Development with Milford Care Centre where she led the development of Ireland’s first advanced communication skills training programme in palliative care, Ireland’s first hospice led e-learning site and secured the tender for Milford Care Centre to co-ordinate the Irish version of the European Certificate in Essential Palliative Care. Kathleen’s interest in the field of Health Promoting Palliative Care has led to the development of Ireland’s first Compassionate Communities Project at Milford Care Centre (weblink www.compassionatecommunities.ie) and in 2011 she successfully led the bid to host the 3rd International Public Health and Palliative Care Conference in Ireland for 2013 (weblink: www.publichealthpalliativecare.org)
In 2012, she joined The Irish Hospice Foundation to co-ordinate the pilot of the National End of Life Audit and Review System across all settings where people die. During this time, she was also appointed as expert advisor to HIQA for their focused themed inspections of end of life care. Her passion and dedication to the field of hospice and palliative care led to her being nominated and receiving the award of CMG 2014 Irish Healthcare Person of the Year.
Kathleen has previously led the research methods module for postgraduate nurses at the University of Limerick and the death education module on the MSc in Bereavement Studies at RSCI/IHF. She also gives occasional lectures on the Psychology Undergraduate Programme in Maynooth and to the Medical School at the University of Limerick. She is a member of the Irish Association of Palliative Care and is the website designer and Irish National Contact for Public Health Palliative Care International.
- Hospice, palliative and end of life care
- Public health approaches to palliative care
- Death education
- Health Service Research
- Quality and Risk – including clinical audit, reflective practice and consumer satisfaction
- Service evaluation
- McLoughlin, K., McKeown, K., Bowen, M and Ryan, K. (2013). An Opportunity to Press the Pause Button: Audit and Review of End of Life Care. Irish Journal of Medical Science Volume 182 Supplement 6. DOI 10.1007/s11845-013-0985-z.
- Callinan J, McLoughlin K, Rhatigan J, Richardson M (2013) Attitudes and experiences towards setting up a bibliotherapy service for the bereavement support service, National Institute for Health Sciences Research Bulletin, 6(4):53.
- Bracken, B., McLoughlin, K., McGilloway, S., & McMahon, E. (2011). Use of dependency & prioritization tools by clinical nurse specialists in palliative care: an exploratory study. IJPN 17(12) pg. 599-606.
- McLoughlin, K. (2010). Dying to talk: Unsettling assumptions toward research with patients at the end of life. Palliative and Supportive Care, 8 (3) p 371-375.
- Callinan, J., McLoughlin, K. and McCarthy, P. (2010). Analysis of library associated information needs of staff in a specialist palliative and gerontological care centre in Mid-West Ireland. Health Information and Libraries Journal, 27 (4) p286-294.
- McKay, E., Taylor, A., Armstrong, C., McLoughlin, K., Rhatigan, J., McMahon, E., Conroy, M., Mainstone, P., Bailey, M., Gallagher, M.B. and Graham, M. (2010). Evaluating a ‘Hospice at Home’ Service - The Case of Milford Care Centre. National Institute for Health Sciences Bulletin 5(6) p16-17.
- Bracken, M., McLoughlin, K., McGilloway, S. and McMahon, E. (2009). Measuring Patient Dependency for Clinical Nurse Specialists Working in Specialist Palliative Care in the Community. National Institute of Health Sciences Research Bulletin 5 (1) p12-13
- Glynn, K., Trimble, B. and McLoughlin, K. (2009). Wound Care Practices and Procedures in a Health Care Facility - A Comparative Study. National Institute of Health Sciences Research Bulletin 5(1) p14-16
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2008) Tackling Barriers to Palliative Care - A Health Promoting Approach. National Institute of Health Sciences research Bulletin 4 (3) p14 – 16.
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2008). Health Promotion in Palliative Care: Identifying and Responding to Attitudinal Barriers to Service Use. National institute of Health Sciences Research Bulletin. Volume 4; 3; June 2008
- Purtill, E. and McLoughlin, K. (2003). Effectiveness of a commercial weight loss programme: 32 week follow up after a 9 week course. Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, 123, 12-19
- Hayes, B., Molloy, K. and Canavan, A.G.M. (1998). “Does your computer depress you?” The British Journal of Healthcare Computing and Information Management. March 1998. Volume 15. Number 2
- Hayes, B., Molloy, K. and Canavan, A.G.M. (1998). Investigating the psychological effect of Tecno AO on VDU Users. Electromagnetic Biocompatibility at Workplace: protection principles, assessment and tests. Results of an EMF Protective Compensation Technology in Humans and Animals. Tecnolab. 1999
- McLoughlin, K. and Rhatigan, J. (2014). Bill’s Story: Compassionate Communities in Ireland. (Invited chapter to an edited book by Professor Allan Kellehear – In Press).
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2012). Unsettling assumptions around death, dying and palliative care. Chapter in Fook, J. and Gardener, F. Using critical reflection: Scientific applications in health and social care settings.
Service Reports / Policy Documents / Commissioned Studies
- McLoughlin, K. (2014). Hearing the Voice of Bereaved Relatives. IHF
- Hegarty, J., Savage, E., Cornally, N., Flynn, M., Henn, P., Byrne, S., McLoughlin, K. and Fitzgerald, S. (2014). A systematic literature review to support a framework for the development of standards for clinical practice guidance. Commissioned by and submitted to the Department of Health.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Milford Care Centre’s Compassionate Communities Programme: An Evaluation. MCC: Limerick.
- Murray, E. Foley, S. and McLoughlin, K. (2013). Access to Specialist Palliative Care Services and Place of Death in Ireland: What the Data Tells Us. IHF: Dublin. http://hospicefoundation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Access-to-specialist-palliative-care-services-place-of-death-in-Ireland.pdf
- McLoughlin, K. (2012). Establishing a Childhood Bereavement Network in Ireland: A Scoping Study. IHF: Dublin. http://hospicefoundation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Irish-Childhood-Bereavement-Network-supporting-those-working-with-grieving-children-and-young-people.pdf
- Connaire, K., Cooley, M.C., Hayden, D., Larkin, P., Lynch, G., McDonnell, S., McLoughlin, K., Moore, A.M., Smullen, H., Sweeney, B., Ui Dhuibhir, P. (2011). A Resource Pack for End of Life Care Link and Associate Nurses: Pilot. Dublin: St. Francis Hospice.
- McLoughlin, K., Rhatigan, J. and Richardson, M. (2010). Compassionate Communities: Living with Dying. Milford Care Centre, Limerick, Ireland.
- McLoughlin, K. (2010). Advanced Communication Skills in Palliative Care: An Evaluation. Milford Care Centre, Limerick, Ireland.
- Holmes, J., McLoughlin, K., Moran, S., Mulcahy, L., Whiriskey, C. and Wright, M. (2010). Evaluating the Effectiveness of the ‘Patients Own Drugs Scheme’ (PODS). Milford Care Centre, Limerick, Ireland.
- McEvoy, R., McLoughlin, K and Bulger, J. (2008). The national strategy for service user involvement in the Irish Health Service. HSE; Ireland.
- McLoughlin, K. (2006). Assessment of smoking cessation programmes available in Europe. Written for the Irish HPH Network for the European Smoke Free Hospitals Network. Available on-line at : http://ensh.aphp.fr/IMG/pdf/Assessment_of_Smoking_Cessation_Training_Programs_in_Europe_REPORT.pdf
- McLoughlin, K. and Gunning, M. (2006). First European Directory of Smoking Cessation Training Courses. Written for the European Smoke Free Hopsitals Network.
- Croke, E. and McLoughlin, K. (2005). Attitudes of mental health nurses to promotion and management opportunities in the Midland Health Board. Health Service Executive, Midland Area. Ireland.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Death of a Goldfish: Social Experience or Medical Event? European Association of Palliative Care Blog. http://eapcnet.wordpress.com/2013/06/17/death-of-a-goldfish-social-experience-or-medical-event/
- McLoughlin, K. From Service Provision to Community Enablement: A Public Health Approach to Palliative Care. IAPC Annual Conference. November 2014 Invited speaker.
- McLoughlin, K. Changing Minds: End of Life Care for People with Dementia. Delivering Health and Care Services for an Ageing Population. CMG Event. June 2014 Invited speaker.
- McLoughlin, K. Audit and Review of End of Life Care for People with Dementia. IHF Conference, Limerick, March 2014. Invited speaker.
- McLoughlin K. Audit and Review of End of Life Care in the Community. Primary and Palliative Care Conference May 2014. Invited speaker.
- McLoughlin, K., Rhatigan, J., Richardson, M., Macken, C. and McLoughlin, C. Compassionate Communities: Supporting People to Talk More Openly About Death, Dying, Loss and Care. IAPC, February 2014.
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. Identifying and changing attitudes toward palliative care: an exploratory study. IAPC, February 2014.
- McLoughlin, K., Ryan, K., Lovegrove, M. and McKeown, K. Implementation of the National End of Life Care Audit and Review System: Lessons Learned. IAPC 2014.
- McLoughlin, K. Promoting excellence in end of life care. Invited speaker for Nursing Homes Ireland Seminar and for HIQA focused themed inspection seminars x 2 February 2014.
- McLoughlin, K. (Invited Speaker, Launch of Irish National Audit of Dementia). The Waiting Room: Promoting Hospice Friendly Hospital Principles in Acute and Residential Care. UCC January 2014.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Clinical Audits for Nursing Home Operators. National Nursing Home Development & Operations Conference 2013. Invited Speaker.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Reflections from the Goldfish Bowl. 3rd International Public Health and Palliative Care Conference. Invited Closing Address 26th April 2013.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Palliative Care? An Extra Piece of TLC That Will Be The Death of Me. 3rd International Public Health and Palliative Care Conference. Invited Keynote Address 26th April 2013.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). An opportunity to press the pause button: Piloting an audit and review system for end-of-life care. Poster at IAPC Conference Irish Society of Gerontology Scientific Meeting.
- McLoughlin, K. (2013). Promoting Excellence in End of Life Care. HIQA Focused Themed Inspection Workshops for Residential Care Services for Older People. September 2013, Dublin and Cork. Invited Speaker.
- Callinan J, McLoughlin K, Rhatigan J, Richardson M. (2013) Evaluation of a bibliotherapy service for bereavement support. Oral Presentation 3rd International Conference on Public Health and Palliative Care, Limerick, 25th-27th April 2013.
- McLoughlin, K. (2012). Auditing and Reviewing End of Life Care. Clinical Audit 2012. Invited Speaker.
- McLoughlin, K. (2012). Invited Speaker: Moving Points Conference. Health Promoting in palliative care: Join Bill United!
- McLoughlin, K. (2012). Health Promoting Palliative Care: Alive & Well in Limerick. Presentation to the AIIHPC / OLH. February 2012.
- McLoughlin, K. (2011). Join Bill United! Presentation at Forum on End of Life, Dublin.
- Callinan, J., McLoughlin, K., Rhatigan, J. and Richardson, M. (2011). Attitudes and experiences towards setting up a biblotherapy service for the bereavement support service. Accepted for EAHIL Workshop: Active Learning and Research Partners in Health, Koc University, Istanbul, Turkey. July 5th – 8th 2011 (Oral).
- Clifford, M., Rhatigan, J., Richardson, M., Moran S., Mulcahy, L., O' Neill, B. Sheridan, J., Mainstone, P., Conroy, M. and McLoughlin, K. (2011). How Can We Improve Formal Family Meetings? A Survey of Staff in Two Specialist Palliative Care Units. EAPC Congress, 19th May2011 (Oral).
- Moran, S., Holmes, J., McLoughlin, K., Mulcahy, L., Whiriskey, C. and Wright, M. (2011). Evaluating the effectiveness of the ‘Patients Own Drugs Scheme’ (PODS) in a Specialist Palliative Care Unit. IAPC Education and Research Seminar. February 2011. Dublin: Ireland. (Oral).
- Rhatigan, J, McLoughlin, K and Richardson, M. (2011). Developing a Health Promoting Palliative Care Approach: building on strong foundations. 2nd International Conference on Palliative Care & Public Health, 21st January 2011, Bangladesh. (Oral)
- Richardson, M and McLoughlin, K. (2011). Cancer Tales. 2nd International Conference on Palliative Care & Public Health, 21st January 2011, Bangladesh. (Oral)
- Quillinan, B., Bailey, M, McLoughlin, K. and Rhatigan, J. (2009). Cancer Tales - Communicating in Cancer Care: A Reflective Journey. 15th International Reflective Practice Conference, Comhrá, Transforming healthcare practice through reflective dialogue. 26th June 2009. University of Limerick, Ireland. (Oral)
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2009). Changing attitudes toward palliative care. Forum on end of life. 25th March 2009. Dublin, Ireland. (Oral).
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2008). "The Journey to End of Life Care: More than a Dead End", Science Speak Regional Final at NUI. Maynooth on April 4th 2008 (3rd Prize Winner - Oral).
- Hughes, S., McLoughlin, K., and Macken, A. (2008). Implementing the recommendations from Clinical Audit Projects. Clinical Audit 2008, London (Oral).
- McLoughlin, K. (2007). Working to improve palliative care and end of life care: Challenging the attitudes of health care professionals. IAPC Nursing Advisory Forum Biannual Seminar in Mullingar, Westmeath invited to speak on 28th September (Oral).
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway S. (2007). Working to improve palliative care and end of life care: Challenging the attitudes of health care professionals. EAPC, Budapest. 6th – 9th June 2007 (Poster).
- McLoughlin, K and McGilloway, S. (2007). Just an extra bit of TLC? Exploring the attitudes of health professionals toward palliative care”. Psychology, Health and Medicine. April 13th 2007.
- McLoughlin K and McGilloway, S. (2007). Investigating Irish Health Professionals Attitudes toward Palliative Care. Oscailt. Dublin. 11th – 12th April 2007. (Poster).
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2007). The attitudes of health professionals toward palliative care: an Irish perspective. IAPC Education and Research Seminar, Feb 1st 2007 (Oral).
- McLoughlin, K. and McGilloway, S. (2006). The fear and stigma of palliative care: Personal Construct Psychology meets Health Promotion. PSI Annual Conference, Galway, Ireland (Oral)
- McLoughlin, K. (2006). “European Code of Smoke Free Hospitals: Evaluating compliance and monitoring the progress of 9 European countries (10 regions) using a Self -Administered Audit Questionnaire”. 5th International Conference on Management and rehabilitation in Stressa, Italy 25th March 2006. (Invited Oral)
- McLoughlin, K. (2005). “Implementation of Health Promoting Hospitals in Southern and Northern Ireland”. Summer School 2005 Evidence-Based HP in Hospitals, part of the European Health Promoting Hospitals Annual Conference. Dublin, Ireland (Invited Oral)
- Purtill, E. and Molloy, K. (2002). Effectiveness of a commercial weight loss programme. 32 week follow up after a 9-week course. 9th World Congress on Clinical Nutrition, London.
- Martin, L., Whelan, C. and Molloy K. (2001). Audit of Care Pathways in Psychiatry of Later Life. National Health Promoting Hospitals Conference. September 2001. Galway, Ireland.
- Molloy, K. and Ward, T. (1998). Investigating nurses constructs of dementia. 4th European Personal Construct Psychology Association Conference. 6th – 9th April, 1998. Chester, England.
- Hayes, B., Molloy, K. and Canavan, A.G.M. (1998). Investigating the psychological effect of Tecno AO on VDU Users. Presented at NIR 99 the Annual NON-IONIZING RADIATION Conference – Living with it at work and in the environment – organised by Fachverband fur Strahlenschutz e.V. (FS). International Radiation Protection Association. 27th September – 1st October 1999. Cologne, Germany.
 NB Molloy is Dr McLoughlin's maiden name.