Maynooth Computer Science Summer Camp 2017
Eolas Building, Maynooth University
Use and explore computer science concepts while having fun and making friends
The Department of Computer Science at Maynooth University runs the Computer Summer Camp for students aged 13-18 years old in June/July every year. It was created to allow students to explore computer science concepts and to try out new technology whilst having fun and making friends. It is a great chance for anyone who is thinking of studying computer science to try it out in a way that is both educational and entertaining. It is also a great opportunity for anyone wanting to try out something new.
The camp assumes no prior experience and will involve activities both on and off the computer that will allow the students to explore a broad range of areas of computer science. Students can sign up for 1, 2 or 3 weeks as each week will be packed full of different activities. Every week we will have a at least one session based around the following themes:
- Problem solving with logic games
- Make a website
- Discover what it takes to create multimedia
- Control a robot
- Create a computer game
- Learn to program
- Experience what it’s like to be a maker
The following activities will be spread throughout the three weeks of the summer camp
- Try out some outdoor activities whilst learning about code breaking and geocomputation
- Learn from experienced computer scientists about:
- The Brain
- Genetic algorithms
- How to use an algorithm to solve a rubik's cube,
- 3D printing
- Explore electronics and find out what's inside a computer
- Put circuits together and program them using an Arduino
- Create an App
If the student wants to try out all the activities then it is best to sign up for all three weeks.
Dates: Week 1 : 26th June - 30th June
Week 2 : 3rd July - 7th July
Week 3 : 10th July - 14th July
Times 9.30 a.m. - 1.00 p.m. Monday to Friday
Price: €75 per week.
Phone: 01 708 3847
For information on camps run at Maynooth for younger students please see www.whizzkids.ie for their summer camps.