The group is interested in many aspects of Mathematics Education at second level, third level and among the general public. At second level, work is being carried out on the impact of assessment on teaching and learning, and on the provision of resources to teachers. At third level, topics such as the effectiveness of support initiatives, the motivation and goal orientation of students, the use of technology in the classroom, and the processes involved in advanced mathematical thinking are being explored. The role of the History of Mathematics in Mathematics Education is also being investigated. In addition, the group is involved in a wide variety of outreach activities and was instrumental in the establishment of the Irish Mathematics Support Network.
Researchers in this group work closely with colleagues in Ireland and the UK. The work of the group has recently been funded by NAIRTL, the Department of Education, The National Forum for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning, and the EU-FP7 fund.
Postdoctoral Researchers - Current
|Dr. Diarmaid Hyland||Dr Ann O'Shea||Adopting active learning approaches in university mathematics.|
Postgraduate Researchers - Current
|Judi Mills||Dr Ann O'Shea & Professor David Wraith||A study of the experience of gifted mathematics students at second level (PhD)|
|Joseph Bennett||Dr. Ciarán Mac an Bhaird||HJSS Smith and the Sums of Squares (PhD)|
|Caitríona Ní Shé||Dr. Ciarán Mac an Bhaird & Dr Eabhnat Ní Fhloinn (DCU)||Assessment for Learning Resources for First Year Undergraduate Mathematics Modules (PhD)|
Postgraduate Researchers - Graduated
|Dr. Tugba Aysel||Dr. Ann O'Shea &
Dr. Sinead Breen (SPD)
|An Exploration of the Effect of High-Stakes Examinations on the Teaching &
Learning of Mathematics in Post-primary Education in Turkey and Ireland . (PhD) 2012
|Mr. Martin Grehan||Dr. Ann O' Shea &
Dr. Ciarán Mac an Bhaird
|A Study of First Year Students’ Mathematics Learning Experiences at Maynooth University. (MSc) 2013|
|Dr. Safia Hamza||Dr. Ann O'Shea||An investigation of advanced mathematical thinking processes. (PhD) 2013|
|Dr. Brendan O'Sullivan||Dr Ann O'Shea & Dr. Sinead Breen (SPD)||'An analysis of mathematical tasks used at second-level in Ireland'. (PhD) 2017|
- Maynooth Conference on the History of Mathematics, 1st-2nd August, 2019
- Accrediting systems of training for STEM postgraduate tutors and lecturers., 12th April, 2019
- FaSMEd research group meeting (funded by an EU FP7 grant), November 2016.
- 23rd International conference of Adults Learning Mathematics - 3rd - 6th July, 2016
- Symposium on Research into Aspects of Mathematics Teaching - Friday, 6th June, 2014
- Teaching and Learning Seminar - Developing and Enhancing Pedagogic Research Skills in STEM Disciplines, Tuesday, 13th May, 2014
- 7th Annual Conference in Mathematics and Statistics Service Teaching and Learning , Maynooth University, 28-29 May, 2012.
- History of Mathematics Conference, Maynooth University, 12th May, 2011
- Workshop in Mathematics Learning and Support Centres, 5th December, 2008