Campus Traffic Management is committed to enabling a shift to sustainable travel modes in line with the vision of becoming a sustainable campus, providing the best range of travel options to staff, students and visitors.
Average cycling and walking times to the campus are as follows:
At present 44% of the cars commuting to campus are single occupant cars, and reducing the number of single occupant cars will greatly benefit all, through reduced travel costs, less carbon emissions, reduced traffic on the road, and the need for parking spaces.
A map of car parking spaces reserved for car poolers can be found at Car Park Designation Plan - North Campus (zoned within car park 2 and car park 9).
Dublin Cycle Planner App
The Dublin Cycle Planner provides information on the best cycling routes in Dublin based on individual cycling capabilities. You can use the Dublin Cycle Planner online or download the App free from the App store for iPhone and iPad, or Google Play store for Android devices. If you are new to cycling or getting out on the bike after a long break, the Cycle Planner will find a route that avoids roads with heavy traffic and also avoids difficult turns at busy junctions to help you get comfortable cycling your bike around town.
For the more advanced cyclists the cycle planner will tell you about the most direct route to take whilst still recommending cycle tracks where they exist. The cycle planner covers Dublin city centre and all the larger towns around County Dublin.
Other useful features include:
- Find a cycle route via several stop offs
- Bring my bike on the train
- Use Dublin Bikes
- Avoid hills
- Co2 and calorie calculator
- Places of interest near my route
- Featured themed routes
- Hill profile
- Integrates with the National Journey Planner
Journey Plan App
The National Transport Authority announced that its Journey Plan App, has seen close to 300,000 downloads (288,554) since its 2012 launch. The free App gives users instant access, on their smartphone or tablet, to timetable and map information for all licensed public transport providers across all of Ireland, with Real Time travel information for Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann services. Journey Plan is Ireland's only one-stop travel planning App, providing bespoke plans for trains, buses, trams, ferry, and taxi services across Ireland and combining them into easy-to-read journey plans. The App provides door-to-door route plans and has information about scheduled departures and trips near any current location and from any specified point.
- Interactive and fully integrated Trip Planner
- Real time departure information for Dublin Bus and Bus Éireann services
- All Ireland coverage including rural locations as well as cities such as Dublin, Belfast, Cork, Galway, Limerick, and Waterford
- All licensed public transport operators included
- All modes of public transport including trains, buses, and trams from transport providers such as Dublin Bus, Luas, Bus Éireann, DART, Commuter Rail, AirCoach, Swords Express, GoBe, Matthews Coaches etc
- Displays stops "near you"
- Dynamic zoom and scroll mapping
- GPS using "my location"
- Updating maps "on the go"
- Saves favourite locations and recent journeys
- Email and In calendar functions
Leap Top-Up App
Leap Top-Up App is a free App for NFC enabled Android phones.
It allows you to instantly top-up your Leap Card, check your balance and collect tickets. Once downloaded, simply hold your Leap Card to the back of your NFC-enabled Android smartphone to instantly check your balance, collect a pre-paid ticket, or top-up your Leap Card - anytime, anywhere.
Real Time Ireland App
- Allows you to set alerts to inform you when your bus is 10, 20 or 30 minutes away from a certain bus stop, so you can plan when to leave home or work.
- The App can inform you when you are approaching a particular bus stop (GPS dependent)
- The App shows combined transport updates from Dublin Bus, Bus Éireann, Luas, DART and Iarnród Éireann
Taxi Driver Check App
Ireland’s taxi driver app allows you to check the licence details of the vehicle and driver and see a photo of the authorised driver. You are then able to forward these details (minus the photo) to a friend – this provides reassurance to taxi customers that they are travelling safely and that there is a record of their trip. The app covers licenced taxis, hackneys, limos and PSVs throughout Ireland. There is a history section that stores all of your searches.
The App is easy to use; all you have to do is launch it on your phone, and then input one of the following:
- Ordinary vehicle registration number;
- Vehicle licence number (displayed on roof-sign and on door signs);
- Driver licence number (displayed on the ID card on the dashboard of the vehicle); or
- Scan the QR code on the vehicle which is located on a disc on both the front and rear windscreens