In line with published University advice and guidelines, visit your office or workspace on campus and make sure everything is setup and ready to go for when you are due to return to campus. The aim of the following 'Tech Check' is to guide you through this process.
- Power on your desktop or laptop and leave this on overnight to ensure that the device gets the latest updates and policies by connecting to our device management system.
- Whether you are using a device on or off campus, ensure all Windows updates are applied. Depending on the type and volume of updates to be installed, this process may take some time (from minutes to several hours) to complete. To do this:
- On your Windows 10 device, select the Start button on the lower left of your screen > Settings
- Select Update & Security
- Select Check for updates, install any available updates and restart your device
- If you are connected to the wired network, please ensure to check your connection. To confirm your are connected to the wired network:
- Check to ensure that you can see the connected wired network icon at the sign in screen (top) or in the system tray when signed in (bottom).
- Or the following icon will appear on the lower right of your screen if the device is not successfully connected to the wired network. If this is the case, please check that that network cable is successfully connected to your device and if there is still an issue, raise a ticket with firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm this, including your office number and machine name or service tag of device if available.
- Return any hardware (desktops, printers, monitors, etc.) which was removed from campus during the lockdown.
- While on campus, please ensure to update your swipe card by holding this up to one of the disabled access door card readers until the reader light flashes green.
- Power cycle any network and desktop printers by powering off the device, waiting 20 seconds and powering back on again. Send a test print job to ensure everything is working as expected. If not, please report the issue to email@example.com including the location of the device, the make and model and a contact number.
- If using a MU Windows 7 desktop, please be aware that this operating system has reached end of life and as such, has been blocked from accessing the internet on campus as these devices pose a security risk due to the operating system no longer receiving regular updates and security patches. Therefore, if you are using a MU W7 device, please raise a ticket with firstname.lastname@example.org for further advice.
- If using a MU W7 laptop on campus, bring the device home, back-up your data to OneDrive and raise a ticket with email@example.com for further advice.
- If you are a VPN user, please connect to the VPN to ensure that your device gets the latest updates and policies by connecting to our device management system.
- If you experience any issues with your IT setup on or off campus, please report any faults or issues now and avoid waiting until everyone starts returning to campus.
Some weeks ago now, a vulnerability was discovered in the print spooler service on most Windows based devices, including servers, desktops and laptops. This was a known global issue. An update has since been released to mitigate against any further risk, therefore, it is currently safe to re-enable the spooler service on your device. You will no longer need to stop/start the spooler service.
To start the printer spooler service:
- On your Windows 10 device, use the search field at the bottom of your screen to search for 'services.msc' and select the app that appears, as shown below. If you are using a Windows 7 device, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
- Scroll down to 'Print Spooler' and double-click on this option.
- Change 'Startup type' from 'Manual' to 'Automatic'. Click 'Apply'. Click on 'Start' to start the print spooler service.
If you are unable to stop/start your print spooler, i.e. if this option is greyed out on your machine, please restart your machine and if this doesn;t resolve the issue, contact email@example.com.
On the 1st of November at 12pm, all peach network file shares will be made read-only; after this date, while you will be able to access and read your departmental files on peach, you will not be able to edit existing documents or create new documents in any file share locations on peach. All users of peach should start copying files from peach file shares to Microsoft Teams. To prepare for this change, we would advise you to review the following information:
- All shares will still be accessible after this date, however no file creation or file edits will be possible on Peach after the 1st of November 2021.
- We would recommend all users select an appropriate Teams site, or create a new Teams site, to copy all Peach data to. Please refer to the following information for guidance on using Mirosoft Teams: Microsoft Teams Information
- Review the owners and members of each Team that is created to ensure the correct people are accessing the data that is being copied from Peach to the Teams site. If you are unsure on how to do this, please refer to the following Microsoft guide: Microsoft guide | Manage Team Settings
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you currently have any Access databases or VLOOKUPs running on Peach, as shares containing these may need to be handled differently.
If you have an IT related query, please raise a ticket with Service Desk by emailing email@example.com. Support for all queries will be provided remotely in the first instance.
IT Services Reception is open and operational; all hardware repairs, collections, and deliveries of hardware must be organised by appointment only. No hardware collections or deliveries will be provided/accepted without an appointment.
We are available in the IT Services Reception from Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, for collections and deliveries (by appointment only). Please select the following link to book your appointment: https://outlook.office365.com/owa/calendar/ITServicesServiceDesk@maynoothuniversity.onmicrosoft.com/bookings/. For urgent queries, please contact Service Desk on 01 708 3388.
IT Services have had to introduce some new measures in facilitating the setup of machines in staff offices; these measures ensure we carry out our work safely while maintaining social distancing rules, keeping our staff and customers safe. Unfortunately we are not currently in a position to call to your office to connect your machine, but we can assist you with various tasks remotely if required, i.e. we can setup a video call either on your mobile or laptop to assist you with connecting your device up as required, we can connect remotely to your current machine to assist you with the transfer of files and programs to OneDrive and then do the same on the new machine once connected.
Please direct all queries on this to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Windows 10 upgrade project is now closed. The stock of machines for this project has been depleted and there are no plans to replenish same. Any further devices that need to be upgraded from W7 to W10 must be raised as a request through email@example.com and an upgrade of the existing device will be scheduled or a quote will be provided if a replacement of the device is required.
Microsoft have announced they will release Windows 11 in October 2021. IT Services are not currently purchasing and providing support and network connectivity for Windows 11 for staff devices. This is until we complete compatibility testing with our network and core IT services.
Once this process is complete, we will update with the latest support information.
HEAnet FileSender provides a secure way to share files. Fore more information, click here.
FileSender2 is now available. FileSender 2 offers:
- Multi-file transfers
- Download links (no need to email)
- Encryption support increased to 4GB
- Greater control of email notifictions
- Audit trail for each transfer
- Extend expiry dates
To use FileSender for a large file transfer/share, go to https://filesender.heanet.ie/ and login with your MU username and password.