Department of International Development
Master's EU Student Scholarship Scheme, 2022/23
For the forthcoming academic year, 2022-23, the Department of International Development at Maynooth University is offering two full EU-fee scholarships to outstanding individuals wishing to pursue the full-time taught MA in International Development or the MA in International Peacebuilding, Security and Development Practice. The two scholarships will be offered on a gender equality basis with one reserved for applicants who identify as female. Please note: this offer is intended only for applicants with EU status who would be required to pay EU-rates for tuition fees.
This is a unique opportunity for the successful candidates to be able to develop their understanding and skills in the area of international development. Applying critical learning approaches, they will be enabled to reflect on their own experience in the light of development theories, policies and different approaches to practice. They will also be prepared for work in the international development field through linking development theory with practice, seeking alternatives to current development processes, and learning how to turn development aspirations into realities in the Global South and North.
Applicants must intend to pursue a full-time taught Master’s degree in International Development at Maynooth University in the academic year 2022-23 and meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Demonstrated experience (2 years or more) in community development or global development in areas such as social justice, human rights, development education, volunteering or campaigning.
- Applicants will need to demonstrate, through the provision of official academic transcripts, that they have achieved (or will achieve in summer 2022): a 2.1 upper 2nd class honours undergraduate degree (or equivalent).
- Applications will be accepted from EU-status candidates living in Ireland or elsewhere, who can satisfy the eligibility criteria for the Master’s programme. Graduates from universities (both national and international) are welcome to apply, including applicants graduating in 2021. Alumni of Maynooth University who are unaware of their degree result should contact the Maynooth University Student Records office: email@example.com to request official transcript information.
- Applicants are required to complete and submit their CV and expression of interest to the Department of International Development by 15th July 2022.
- Following their expression of interest, candidates must have applied for the MA in International Development at Maynooth University on www.pac.ie by the 31 July 2022.
- Provision of two letters of academic reference.
Graduates or current students of PhD or Master’s programmes are not eligible to apply. Prospective students interested in research programmes should apply instead for the Maynooth University John and Pat Hume Doctoral Research Awards.
Value of the Scholarship
The total value of each full-time scholarship will be the cost of EU fees for 2022-23 and the student levy, which will be for a total amount of €6,850.
Please note that a recipient of the International Development department scholarships are not eligible to be a recipient of the other ‘Maynooth University Taught Masters Scholarships’ for the duration of their programme.
An initial eligibility check will be undertaken by the Department of International Development at Maynooth University to ensure that applications have met the eligibility requirements.
Expressions of interest will be reviewed by an academic panel consisting of the Head of the Department of International Development (or their nominee) and the Lecturer responsible for postgraduate admissions at the Department. Shortlisted candidates will be invited to interview (by online video where a person-to-person interview is not possible) to discuss their interest. The panel will rank candidates based on their expressions of interest and interviews using the following marking scheme:
- Academic attainment – 20%
- Previous experience – 20%
- Personal statement/interview – 30%
- Master’s thesis proposal – 20%
- References – 10%
Expression of Interest
Please send a personal statement outlining your expression of interest along with your your CV and a short (less than 1,000 word) thesis proposal to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15, 2022. Two reference letters (one academic and one related to your experience) must be submitted via email directly from referees to email@example.com by the closing date. Please note that reference letters should be provided as part of your programme application on pac.ie. For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
If an awardee does not take up a place or accept the scholarship the award may be made to the next ranked candidate. The scholarship may not be deferred.
The recipient may be required to undertake some light departmental duties, such as attendance at University Open Days or assisting at conferences, at the discretion of the Head of Department.
Completed expressions of interest (i.e., your personal statement, CV and reference letters) should be submitted via email by the closing date of the 15 July 2022. Applications may be submitted any time before the closing date. Late applications will not be accepted.
Enquiries regarding the application process may be submitted by email to: email@example.com
All of the above information is available as a PDF download - Masters EU Student Scholarship 2022-23