Postdoctoral Researcher (14 month contract) - Programmable City Project (PCP), National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA)
Funded by a European Research Council Advanced Investigator Award to Prof. Rob Kitchin, we are seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher to work on The Programmable City project.
The researcher will critically examine:
• the political economy of smart city technologies and initiatives; the creation of smart city markets; the inter-relation of urban (re)development and smart city initiatives; the relationship between vendors, business lobby groups, economic development agencies, and city administrations; financialization and new business models; and/or,
• the relationship between the political geography of city administration, governance arrangements, and smart city initiatives; political and legal geographies of testbed urbanism and smart city initiatives; smart city technologies and governmentality.
There will be some latitude to negotiate with the principal investigator the exact focus of the research undertaken. While some of the research will require primary fieldwork, it is anticipated it will also involve the secondary analysis of data already generated by the project. The project will be based in the National Institute for Regional and Spatial Analysis (NIRSA) at Maynooth University.
Principal Duties, beyond undertaking the primary research and writing up the findings for scholarly journals and presenting papers about the research at meetings and conferences, team members are expected to actively contribute to the following activities.
• Writing blog posts and help maintain the project’s accompanying website and contribute to the project’s social media.
• Organize workshops, seminars and conferences.
• Liaise with stakeholders
• Undertake all necessary reporting for the funder.
• Archive the data generated for further use by other researchers.
• Attend project meetings