Post-Doctoral Researcher (Wave Energy) - Centre for Ocean Energy Research (COER)
Due to a new inter-institutional platform project within the MaREI (Marine Renewable Energy Ireland) SFI Centre, a 2-year postdoctoral position in now available at the Centre for Ocean Energy Research (COER) at Maynooth University. The role will principally involve the application of advanced control techniques to wave energy systems and may include associated technologies (to control) such as estimation and forecasting.
The main duties associated with the post are as follows:
• Carrying out the research program as specified, which includes the development of control strategies for wave energy devices, with associated state estimation and wave forecasting strategies. Some interaction between the control system design and that of the wave energy converter geometry is also envisaged.
• Simulation of the developed methods, along with suitable mathematical models of the wave energy converter (WEC), including the power take-off (PTO) system, in Matlab/Simulink and OpenFOAM.
• Implementation of the developed algorithms on a hardware-in-the-loop rig and/or a scale WEC in a testing tank.
• Interfacing with the broader Team of MaREI researchers working on this project
• Involvement with education and public engagement (EPE) activities of MaREI
• Some assistance with administrative aspects of MAREI activities in Maynooth University
• Assistance with PhD student and intern supervision, where appropriate