MH409 provides students with the widest choice of business and languages of any university degree in Ireland. You choose one business subject (Accounting*, Business Management, International Business or Marketing) and one language (Chinese, French, German or Spanish). You do not need to have studied either business or your chosen language for the Leaving Certificate to take this degree.
In your third year, you will have an opportunity to undertake either study abroad or an international internship (subject to availability), which will allow you to apply what you have learned. People with both business and language capabilities are in short supply, yet most businesses work with international customers or suppliers, making you highly employable!
If you already know which business subject and language you want to take for your degree, then you can choose to focus on these from the beginning. If you are unsure and would like to try out a couple of options before you commit, then you can switch between your business and language subjects in the first four weeks of semester one. This enables you to find the subjects that best match your interests and aptitude.
There is a possible transfer option to this degree in second year for students who have completed the first year of the BA degree (MH101) taking business and the relevant language.
* Please note that Accounting can only be combined with German or Spanish. All other business subjects can be combined with any of the four languages.
Why choose this degree?
- Wide variety of options: Maynooth University offers more subject combinations than any other business degree in Ireland, enabling you to combine four different business subjects with four different world languages.
- Accredited year abroad: The opportunity to study or work abroad as an integral part of your degree which gives you a chance to put your learning into practice and significantly improves your employability upon graduation.
- Graduates with an in-depth knowledge of business and strong language skills are in high demand on the jobs market.
- Employees that have both a deep insight into how to create value for businesses (through Accounting, Marketing, Management or International Business skills) and can apply these skills across both English and a modern language are rare and valuable. Most businesses in Ireland and Europe trade internationally across languages and so these skills are highly sought-after.
- No compromise: You get to choose the language you love and your business career choices.
- You will take 30 credits of the business subject of your choice. This will provide you with a foundational knowledge of your business subject. Beginner (30 credits) and advanced (15 credits) options are available in French, German, and Spanish. Chinese is currently only available at beginner’s level (30 credits). You have the option of taking one or two advanced (post Leaving Certificate H4 or higher) or one beginner language in 1st year.
- For business, second year is about learning the functional capabilities of your subject, including some optional choices. As a language student, you will have a twin focus on language and culture. Your language skills will continue to be developed through small-group teaching, and you will be able to choose from a wide range of different options to hone your intercultural awareness.
- You will choose either Erasmus/study abroad in one of our partner universities or undertake an international internship (subject to availability*). Study abroad will offer you the opportunity to develop your language and cultural skills. You will have an opportunity to strengthen your language skills by living and studying through the target language, and you’ll also be able to take modules in other language, cultural, business or alternative subjects. If you prefer to undertake an international internship, we can support you to have this accredited as part of your degree programme also. Students may also qualify for funding through the Erasmus+ internship programme. *(The University’s Placement Office will support you in the search for a placement job; however, the process is competitive).
- In your business subject, this is the year in which you will develop your understanding of the strategic aspects of running a business, as well as advanced skills in your chosen subject, including a range of optional and core modules. In your language, you will build on your experience abroad to develop a high degree of fluency and accuracy, and you will continue to develop your creative, analytical, and critical thinking through engaging with cultural studies.
|Subject||Required||Ordinary Level Grade||Higher Level Grade|
International & EU/EFTA Entry Requirements
Mature student applicants who have a disability
If you have a disability or specific learning difficulty (e.g. dyslexia), and require examination support for any required written tests, please submit supporting documentation by 15 March 2022 to the Access Office. Unfortunately we are unable to consider applications for alternative examination accommodation after this deadline.
01 February 2023
Leaving Certificate: 2H5 & 4O6/H7, Irish, English & O4/H7 Mathematics. Advanced French, German, Spanish: Leaving Cert H4 recommended. Beginner Chinese, French, German, Spanish: no previous study required.
APPLY TO THE CAO
The application process depends on the type of applicant you are. Click here for all information about how to apply.
Categories of applicant:
- School-leavers (Leaving Certificate students)
- Mature students (23 years or older by 1st January in the year of entry to the University/part-time degrees the mature age is 21)
- EU/EFTA/UK students
- International students (outside the EU)
- QQI (Further Education) students
- Transferring students
- Deferring students