The Career Development Centre, through providing information, advice and guidance, aims to support students assess and develop their self-awareness, make informed decisions and move through the steps of the career planning process. We endeavour to support students in identifying and developing the employability skills necessary to further their career on completion of their studies at Maynooth University.
A student could be referred to the Career Development Centre for assistance when
- Unsure of their options after their course of study
- Requiring information on particular career areas
- Seeking graduate employment
- Considering postgraduate study, courses, funding etc
- Requiring assistance with CV, Interview or Personal Statements
When referring students to the Career Development Centre, the student should initially call to the Help-Desk. See Opening Hours for details of our availability.
It is not necessary to book or make an appointment. At the Help-Desk the student will be seen by a Careers Adviser who will listen to their questions or concerns and advise on how best the Career Development Centre can be of assistance. This could involve
- Self-Assessment / Careers Interest Tests
- Attendance at relevant seminars / presentations
- Research and information gathering
- One-to-one meeting with an adviser (once student has completed any necessary preparation)
Through our Careers Education Programmes we aim to empower students to take responsibility for planning their career. We provide information and support to facilitate students in
- Developing their self-awareness in terms of their skills, abilities, interests and personality.
- Researching occupational information, potential employers and available opportunities.
- Identifying opportunities and developing networking and job-search skills.
- Effectively promoting themselves to employers e.g. CV, Application Form, Interviews.
We offer career seminars covering
- Discover your Career (Self Awareness, Occupational Research, Decision-Making, Action Planning)
- Job Search ( CV, Application Forms, Networking, Interviews)
- Business Etiquette: Norms and Standards for Behaviour in a Professional Work Environment