My laptop will not display an image on the screen
1. Is projector on? – Follow steps for powering up.
2. Is connection ok? – Check leads are secure.
3. Is correct source selected? – Press Laptop(VGA) or HDMI depending on which cable is connected on display control panel on desk or lectern.
4. Is the port through which the cable connected activated –
press and hold down the Function key ( Fn ) and press F8 (CRT/LCD )(Dell Laptops)once,
image should appear in a few seconds, if it does not repeat this process until it does.
If you are unsure as to which buttons or function key to press for your make of laptop
please consult the Laptop port activation chart
Laptop computer Video Port Activation Chart.pdf
Many projectors at Maynooth University are XGA,which is they will have difficulty displaying screen resolutions above 1024 x 768.
If you have problems displaying the image on your laptop on the projection screen, try adjusting your display resolution on your laptop to suit the projector.
To do this:
1. Click once on the start menu , go to control panel and click
2. Click on the display resolutions
3. Click on down tab at resolutions
5. Set it to read 1024 x 768 pixels
6. Click apply
7. Answer yes to keeping these settings
(they may be changed back after your presentation if you want)
Your desktop is now resized and should display laptop screen see points 1-4 above.
To gain access to the Maynooth University network your laptop must be configured by the IT Services for this
If you are not connecting via wireless then connect network cable to your laptop. (Cable labelled Net Work)
You must log on using your Maynooth University username and password.
You may now access the Internet and shared services etc.
Ask a question
Training programs are run at the start of each academic term and are advertised through the Audio Visual Support Services web site and departmental e-mails. During term training is also available by making arrangements directly with AV Support for small groups and one-to-one training.(Please note:during term time restrictions on training may apply due to room availability)
Training on Data projection and multimedia facilities at Maynooth University
Training for staff/technicians charged with:
- Maintaining and purchasing departmental data projectors.
- Training on setting up data projectors and laptops.
- Configuring departmental laptops for use with data projectors on campus.
- Training departmental staff in the use data of projectors.
Training for presenters using Audio Visual Equipment:
Presenting in Maynooth University lecture theatres and class halls.
Using multimedia equipment for–
- Digital OHPs/Document Cameras
- Dvds and multimedia,
- Accessing the internet during a presentation,
- Using and controlling audio and microphones,
- Data projectors and large format displays.
- Interactive pen displays and interactive whiteboards
- Book a training course
- Ask a Question?
- Report a Fault.
Responsibilities of AV Support
1. Audio Visual Support is responsible for the fixed projection units, computers, dvd players, microphones, amplifiers and control panels in Class halls and Theatres at Maynooth University.
2. Mobile projectors, overhead projectors and portable screens are within the remit of Campus Services.
1. No AV equipment (including cables) should be removed from Class halls/Theatres or disconnected without prior arrangement with AV Support.
2. Network connection and security. (Policies)
Faults and maintenance
1. Faults should be reported to AV Support as soon as possible after the lecture in which the problem occurred has finished.
2. All class hall and theatre locations are routinely serviced by AV support - minor problems will be sign posted in individual theatres. Major problems will be notified to departmental administrators as soon as a technical fault has been reported or discovered.
3. On foot of information received of a problem/fault:
1. AV Support will endeavor to rectify problem as soon as possible.
2. Inform departments of existence of a fault in a particular Theatre/Class hall.(See 2 above)
3. Provide temporary solution until full service can be restored.
It should be noted that the above responses may from time to time be limited by:
- Resource allocation restrictions.
- Access restrictions to rooms during term times.
- Supplier delivery response times due to difficulty obtaining parts.
The general Video Conferencing room is located in the conference room on the third floor of the John Hume Building, on the North Campus. Video conferencing is available over IP only – to dial another site you must have their IP address. If an outside party wish to call Maynooth University they must either use our IP address or if they only have access to an ISDN connection they can dial HEA Net's ISDN line followed by the Maynooth University GDS Number for connection to our Video Conferencing unit.
Maynooth University IP Address: 22.214.171.124
HEA Net Number for ISDN connection: 00 353 (0)1 4490889 followed by GDS Number.
GDS No: 00 353 01 124610
Instructions for use of the equipment for making and receiving calls are available in the room and a brief training session is available by contacting AV Support in advance of your Video Conference. firstname.lastname@example.org
By contacting AV support, email@example.com , the room may be booked giving at least five days notice prior to Video Conference.
Information required for booking:
* Date of Video Conference
* Approximate Time/Duration of call
* Name of institution being called or calling Maynooth University
* IP address of institution being called
* Do you require Training in use of equipment and/or test call prior to Video Conference.
Sources for Help
User training and support:
AV Support 01 708 6398
IT Services: Networks,
Patrick O' Reagan or James Conroy 01 708 3830
Information on HEA Net resources etc: