Welcome to the Student Health Centre
The Student Health Centre is an acute care/advisory service. It is not a GP service. The service is envisaged as an addition to the student’s own family doctor or specialist medical service. It operates within resource constraints so certain service limitations apply. Students should continue to attend their own general practitioner.
We are located on the ground floor of the Student Services Building, North Campus.
Telephone: 01 708 3878
The Student Health Centre will close on Friday 10th March when the staff will attend the Irish Student Health Association (ISHA) conference in Galway. The Health Centre will re-open on Monday 13th March at 09.00hrs.
Flu Vaccine 2016
The Student Health Centre recommends that students with relevant underlying medical conditions go to the off-campus University Doctor, Dr Denis Gaffney, Glenroyal Medical Centre, Maynooth or to a local pharmacy for the flu vaccination.
If you have a Medical Card or European Health Insurance Card, the vaccination and administration of same is free, otherwise there is a fee for the administration of the injection.
It is advised that those in the at risk groups avail of the influenza vaccine:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Morbid obesity i.e. body mass index over 40
- Pregnant women (vaccine can be given at any stage of pregnancy)
- Chronic respiratory disease, including chronic pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis, moderate or severe asthma or bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic heart disease (this includes anyone who has a history of having a “heart attack” or unstable angina)
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic renal failure
- Chronic neurological disease including multiple sclerosis, hereditary and degenerative disorders of the central nervous system
- Downes syndrome
- Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment (these include anyone on treatment for cancer)
- Healthcare workers
- Carers (the main carers of those in the at risk groups)
- People with regular contact with pigs, poultry or water fowl
Please note that the Student Health Centre is for the exclusive use of students.