This policy is a statement of the commitment of the Development & Alumni Relations Office to protect the rights and privacy of individuals in accordance with the Data Protection legislation.
3. Principles of Data Protection (EU General Data Protection Legislation)
The Development & Relations Office, Maynooth University sets out the following policy and operational details, in compliance with current Data Protection legislation in Ireland and the upcoming EU GDPR legislation.
Data Controllers: In respect to all data pertaining to the alumni relations operations, staff, students and other individuals who come in contact with the University the Data Controller is the Maynooth University Development & Alumni Relations Office, Riverstown House, South Campus, Maynooth University.
Data Processing Purposes: The Development & Alumni Relations Office processes personal data for the following specified and lawful purposes and commits to its use and disclosure only in ways strictly compatible with these stated purposes. All data processed will be kept up-to-date and accurate and will at all times be stored securely and processed legally and only for the purposes set out below. Similarly only the minimum amount of relevant data will be stored in relation to carrying out these purposes.
- To confirm and validate the identity of recipients of qualifications from Maynooth University.
- To organise and market alumni events.
- For the development and operation of alumni initiatives including networking with industry partners to foster alumni engagement with current students, to conduct alumni surveys and to identify and communicate with specific alumni to assist this office with same.
- To facilitate the delivery of services to alumni such as qualification validation, transcripts, library membership, Seanad Eireann voter registration and the dissemination of University publications.
- Wealth screening and fundraising initiatives for the purposes of donor participation and support of University fundraising priorities and appeals.
Categories of Data being processed: For the above stated purposes the Development & Alumni Relations Office will process the following categories of data.
- Personal contact details (email, phone, postal address).
- Employment information available publicly via online or print media and on social media platforms.
- Financial information available publicly with relation to shares/directorships and property assets.
- Biographical information such as the receipt of awards/scholarships/honours, familial relationships and event and philanthropic interests.
Data Access and Storage: Access to Development & Alumni Relations Office data is strictly limited to the members of staff within the office. Data on individuals will be stored for as long as is necessary for the stated purposes of data processing or until such time as individuals no longer consent to the data being stored. At no point will data be communicated to any third party in such a way as to make individuals identifiable or to infer the identity of any individuals.
Data Protection Officer: There is a Data Protection Officer in situ at Maynooth University. The Maynooth University Data Protection Office can be contacted at 01-7086184 and emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Data Subject Rights: The Development & Alumni Relations Office is committed to upholding and ensuring that the rights of the data subject (you) are maintained and protected at all times. As such we want to make sure that you are aware of, and have, the following rights under GDPR:
- That any data processing relating to you can only take place with your clear, unambiguous and informed consent. And that subsequent to this you may freely withdraw this consent at any time.
- That as a data subject you have the right to request access to, and be provided with, all data held pertaining to you including the reason for processing, the source of the information and who has access to it. Such requests will be facilitated no later than one month after being requested and will be done so free of charge.
- That as a data subject you have the right to have this data rectified to correct any errors or to ensure its accuracy.
- That as a data subject you have the right to be ‘forgotten’, as in all data pertaining to you will be deleted upon the withdrawal of your consent or your objection to data processing. Please note that in the event of the invocation of this right the Development & Alumni Relations Office have a legal obligation to retain your name and qualifications from Maynooth University in order to verify your status as a recipient of such qualifications.
- That as a data subject you have the right to complain to the Data Protection Officer if there is the belief that your data is being processed unfairly or your rights are not being protected.
This policy will be reviewed regularly in light of any legislative or other relevant indications.